Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Exquisitus Flinder <ex...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/26 00:19:23 UTC

[users@httpd] Conflicting versions of Apache in Mac OS X 10.4

I have Mac OS X ver 10.4 which contains pre-installed Apache version 10.3.33.
I have followed instruction from Apache web site on installation of version
2.2 from downloading to installation through the Terminal session.   By
testing using "sudo apachectl -k start" and the "sudo apachectl -k stop", I
believe the installation is complete.

I restarted the computer and checked the version using the command "httpd
-V".  I gave me version 10.3.33.  Hence, I am confused.  Since the
installation of version 2.2 has been tested and found to be complete, why
does Mac refer still to the old version?  I checked the config file, but
frankly do not know quite understand it.

Please help, thx.

Exquisitus

Re: [users@httpd] Conflicting versions of Apache in Mac OS X 10.4

Posted by Sander Temme <sc...@apache.org>.
On Aug 25, 2007, at 3:19 PM, Exquisitus Flinder wrote:

> I have Mac OS X ver 10.4 which contains pre-installed Apache
> version 10.3.33.  I have followed instruction from Apache web site
> on installation of version  2.2 from downloading to installation
> through the Terminal session.   By testing using "sudo apachectl -k
> start" and the "sudo apachectl -k stop", I believe the installation
> is complete.
>
> I restarted the computer and checked the version using the command
> "httpd -V".  I gave me version 10.3.33.  Hence, I am confused.
> Since the installation of version 2.2 has been tested and found to
> be complete, why does Mac refer still to the old version?  I
> checked the config file, but frankly do not know quite understand it.

You'll have to ask Mac.

Yes, MacOSX currently comes with Apache HTTP Server 1.3.33.  It's up
to Apple what they install and support... we'd love to see them
upgrade to 2.2, but they'll have to make that decision for themselves.

If you want to install your own Apache 2.2, you're perfectly welcome
to do so.  However, remember that all of the system installed
Apache's binaries and control scripts are in your PATH and will be
found with preference unless you do either of the following:

1) refer to your own Apache 2.2 stuff by full path, such as

    /usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl start

or

2) Put the bin directory of your Apache 2.2 installation (/usr/local/
apache2/bin
    unless you configured with --prefix) to your PATH before the
default /usr/bin
    and /usr/sbin

S.

--