Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au> on 2002/12/10 07:05:12 UTC

OT: no back pain

<Steven>
Grrrrr - my English is kinda funky with all these backpain drugs :-|

</Steven>

I have heard you mention such back pain before Steven.
Forrest needs you to be productive :-)

This is something that we all suffer from and need to constantly
attend to. I can offer some tips (do as i say, not as i do).

* Do not try to get inside the computer. It is another world
and we tend to stretch closer into it. This action sticks
your neck forward and busts your back.

* Do you have some strange habit with device use.
An example: One day i found myself sitting reading a document
with my index finger raised over the left mouse button, ready
to click the scrollbar when i had read that screenful.
Finger-bone is connected to arm-bone is connected to back-bone.

* Do not slouch - sit up straight with gut muscles tucked in.

* Be you own minder. Always be aware and mindful of your body.

* A sensible chair is worth the money. I have one those
sit-and-kneel-with-back-support jobbies (but i do not yet
know how to properly drive it).

* You can find someone to assess your posture, ala Alexander
Technique ...
google(posture, alexander)
http://www.posturepage.com/
http://alexandertechnique.com/

* Use vitamin/nutrient/mineral supplements:
MSM powder (organic sulfur)
Zinc and magnesium.

* Self-massage and stretching.

You probably know all of these things. I do too, but i amaze
myself by forgetting to apply them.
--David

Re: OT: no back pain

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
David Crossley wrote:

> You probably know all of these things. I do too, but i amaze
> myself by forgetting to apply them.

Yes, but currently I'm far from being able to make use of such tips:
http://www.spineuniverse.com/displayarticle.php/article28.html

Oh well - thanks for caring, David!

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org