Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/07 09:00:37 UTC

The future of OFBiz - Open Discussion

Hi All,

I invite you to join me and participate in an open discussion on the
functioning and future of OFbiz via a teleconference on March 13, 2014.

Share your thoughts and insights on how you feel it going and what you
would like to see addressed in the project. Plus, it is a great opportunity
to get to know your fellow community member better than just through
communications via mailing lists.

I have set up a conference space through www.freeconferencecall.com and
tried to find an optimum sweet spot for the time slot to convene this
teleconference that will minimise the inconvenience for most. Therefore I
have chosen to set the starting time at 14:30 AMS time. Please find below a
small overview of starting times in different timezones:

LocationLocal timeTime zoneUTC offsetLos
Angeles<http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=137> (U.S.A.
- California)Thursday, 13 March 2014,
06:30:00PDT<http://www.timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/na/pdt.html>UTC-7
hoursNew York <http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=179> (U.S.A.
- New York)Thursday, 13 March 2014,
09:30:00EDT<http://www.timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/na/edt.html>UTC-4
hoursLondon <http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=136> (United
Kingdom - England)Thursday, 13 March 2014,
13:30:00GMT<http://www.timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/eu/gmt.html>
UTCAmsterdam <http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=16>
(Netherlands)Thursday, 13 March 2014,
14:30:00CET<http://www.timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/eu/cet.html>UTC+1
hourMoscow <http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=166>
(Russia)Thursday,
13 March 2014, 17:30:00MSK<http://www.timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/eu/msk.html>UTC+4
hoursBangalore <http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=438> (India
- Karnataka)Thursday, 13 March 2014,
19:00:00IST<http://www.timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/asia/ist.html>UTC+5:30
hoursBangkok <http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=28>
(Thailand)Thursday, 13 March 2014,
20:30:00ICT<http://www.timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/asia/ict.html>UTC+7
hoursAuckland <http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=22> (New
Zealand)Friday, 14 March 2014,
02:30:00NZDT<http://www.timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/pacific/nzdt.html>UTC+13
hoursCorresponding UTC (GMT)Thursday, 13 March 2014, 13:30:00
Please find below some details about how to participate, but you can always
more info on the website of http://freeconferencecall.com

*Conference Invite Details* Instructions*From: pierre.smits@orrtiz.com
<pi...@orrtiz.com>*

*Subject: * The Future of OFBiz - Open Discussion
*Date & time: * 2014-03-13 14:30 (GMT+01:00)
*Duration: * 2 hr.

*Notes: *

 *Free Conference Call*
 Conference Dial-in Number: +31 (0) 6 35205070 (Number in the Netherlands)
 Participant Access Code: 779895#

<http://www.freeconferencecall.com/fcci/internationalnumbers.aspx?lang=NL&altlang=EN&phonenumber=+31%20(0)%206%2035205070>

When prompted enter the access code that has been assigned, followed by the
# key. Once connected to the conference, you will be able to talk and have
access to the touch tone commands listed below.

Participant Feature KeysExit - exit the callInstructions - conference
instructionsMute/Unmute - caller controlled muting

I hope to see you there.

With regards

Pierre Smits

*ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>*
Services & Solutions for Cloud-
Based Manufacturing, Professional
Services and Retail & Trade
http://www.orrtiz.com

Re: The future of OFBiz - Open Discussion

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
David,

Thank you for sharing your insights and viewpoints on the health and future
of OFBiz in that other thread in this ML.

Please join us tomorrow in the teleconference to discuss this and the
viewpoints of our other community members. It will surely be appreciated.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
 >I am somewhat puzzled that you feel that holding an open discussion on the functioning of the project and its future is an initiative against the PMC.

I have this impression because initially this discussion was not open. Only because Christian opened it by accident the rest of the community was aware.

Reminders (to summarize):
Christian wrote

You initially wrote:
 >In fact, currently only 5 are somewhat active and of those 5 active members 3 are of the same company (hotwax). Given that the 5 PMC members are
also the 5 active committers it seems that working in the interest of the project (which as the ASF states should be 'community over code') isn't
happening that much any more. Only 1 is actively involved in participating in the community. And the others seem to be committed to achieve their own
agenda in stead of being committed to the project.

Some others, at least Al, share your belief on the PMC, Al wrote:
 >This seems like a test of the Apache framework - does it provide for the long-term life of a project when it conflicts with the self-interests of
the PMC?

It seems to me that we should all try to understand the reasons which push the PMC to be very cautious with new comers.

I don't think exactly like Al, but unfortunately there is some truth in his belief. For me, the most important reason the PMC is less open to new
committers than before is because we fear that changes done in OFBiz will not be monitored enough. This comes from past experience and also because
OFBiz is now more stable and we want to keep this level of quality (still improving of course). But this way of thinking built a vicious circle: there
are less and less experienced committers (as the PMC wiki page now shows, several committers have found "greener pastures", or for other reasons they
left, that's life...)

Personally I have always favoured the entrance of new committers. I believe I'm the one who proposed the more to invite new people. My last 3
proposals were refused, and I must say with good arguments. To facilitate new arrivals I think we should amend our rules about what a new OFBiz
committer can do or not. Unfortunately this is not the ASF way, where peers are peers. We are currently discussing new possibilities in the PMC...

Jacques

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Jacques,

Posted by Paul Piper <pp...@ilscipio.com>.
Hi Pierre,

unfortunately I won't be able to attend. We got a presentation to attend and
it isn't guerenteed that we can make it on time. I am still hoping for a
lunch break in between I could stop by, but for now I will have to attend a
follow-up.

Re: The future of OFBiz - Open Discussion

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
We would love to attend representing Pythys software in Kuwait. We have
some thoughts to contribute especially with respect to documentation and
and having components eco-system

Taher Alkhateeb

Posted by Rong Nguyen <ro...@olbius.com>.
Thank Pierre,
Great.
Olbius team will contribute our ideas!

-----
Rong Nguyen

Olbius JSC
Deliver highest business value
http://www.olbius.com/

Re: The future of OFBiz - Open Discussion

Posted by Julien NICOLAS <ju...@nomaka.fr>.
Hi Pierre,

It's a good idea.
Nomaka team will be there the next thursday.

Julien
Nomaka.fr

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
I would like to mention that Pierre is the only one person in the history of the project that sent his remarks against the OFBiz PMC to the Board of the Apache Software Foundation, asking them to step-in and act versus the OFBiz PMC: he actually did it twice (2 years ago and again yesterday). Since his remarks were made of inaccurate information, baseless assertions, exaggerations, it was easy for the OFBiz PMC to clarify the situation with the Board.
However, besides being very annoying and distracting, these behaviors are against the OFBiz community's spirit: in fact we had very few persons acting like Pierre in the whole history of OFBiz.
If you are new to the project and you are reading or listening to Pierre's statements, please be aware of this information and put them in the right context.

Jacopo

Posted by Paul Piper <pp...@ilscipio.com>.
@jacques: Thanks for pointing this out. I share the belief that Ruth's
contributions have also fallen under the radar. She put an enormous effort
into writing her book and gave countless ours of free support to outsiders.
She additionally tried her best to create a platform to sell third-party
applications for apache ofbiz.

While at it: BJ Freeman is another one who isn't even mentioned on wiki
pages, despite his years of effort.

Re: The future of OFBiz - Open Discussion

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
To be more clear, the question Ruth then asked was:

<<Dare I ask: can a non-committer be a PMC member? Aside from the ASF members, I don't see a single PMC member who is not a committer. How would a
non-committer gain PMC membership?>>

I/we then completly forgot to answer her :/

Jacques

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Jacopo,

Posted by Anil Patel <an...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Jacques,
Thanks for clarification.

I have put my comments on Jira. My email on this email thread is my response to Paul’s big email about Hotwax Media.

Thanks and Regards
Anil Patel
COO
Hotwax Media Inc
http://www.hotwaxmedia.com/
ApacheCon US 2013 Gold Sponsor
http://na.apachecon.com/sponsors/

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Anil,

Posted by Anil Patel <an...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Jacques,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Paul Piper <pp...@ilscipio.com>.
I would also like to keep this in the logs for further reference:

"Anil K Patel added a comment - 11 minutes ago
My suggestion does not fix any problem because, This Jira issue like many
others is trying to fix a problem that does not exist.
Before contributors can expect help from experts in community they need to
demonstrate that they deserve it.
In this case please go learn about content and website entity model and CMS
implementation. You will find that all SEO requirements were addressed in
OFBIz way before SEO term was coined.
Webpathalias entity tracks all the valid URL and it's content associations."

Re: The future of OFBiz - Open Discussion

Posted by Mike Bates <mi...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Paul,

I understand your concerns, and I’m sorry you feel that you are somehow excluded based on anything other than merit. That must be a frustrating feeling.

The fact is, there is no history of HWM affiliation increasing the likelihood of PMC membership. Indeed 4 of the 6 individuals you mentioned were PMC members prior to their affiliation with HWM, and a 5th was at least a committer prior to his affiliation with HWM. Hopefully that will help you accept that the PMC is indeed merit-driven, and has been formed and maintained in accordance with the relevant ASF policies.

At HotWax Media we will continue to do our best to make sure that OFBiz is a healthy project with a supportive community. We don't always do that perfectly, of course, but we try. In that spirit, I'll bow out of this conversation with you now Paul, because I don't see any more value in it. You are on the wrong path, and I don't want to encourage you any more than I already have. Here's hoping you will focus your energy on something other than the HotWax Conspiracy going forward.

If we can find a productive way to collaborate on improving OFBiz, let's do it!

Best regards,

Mike

--
Mike Bates
HotWax Media

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
I find the reply of Anil contemptible and uncalled for. Such a posting does
not help in building the community and furthering the project. In stead it
is a sure path of alienating others.

Posted by Anil K Patel <an...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Paul
Many thanks for writing so much about HotWax. OFBiz Community would benefit lot more if you instead put all this energy to study OFBIz. It will make your contribution useful to others.

Thanks and Regards
Anil Patel
COO
Hotwax Media Inc
http://www.hotwaxmedia.com/
ApacheCon US 2013 Gold Sponsor
http://na.apachecon.com/sponsors/
Sent from my iPad

Posted by Paul Piper <pp...@ilscipio.com>.
I made one error in my list: Bilgin Ibryam

I meant Marco Risaliti, but I forgot that he was not part of the PMC, but a
Committer instead.

Re: The future of OFBiz - Open Discussion

Posted by Mike Bates <mi...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Paul: you say you have nothing against HWM and you understand OFBiz history, but your comments consistently reflect your negative bias toward HWM as a company. You imply that we are somehow conspiring against individuals who otherwise have merit on their side, but are foiled by HWM employees within the OFBiz community through some kind of organized effort.

If you look more closely, you will see that a. HWM team members are highly effective at banding together to get things done in OFBiz (with 10,000+ hours donated, we have a lot of practice cooperating on this) and b. when it comes to open source project governance, HWM employees experience no bias or other "direction" from the company either way. Rather, these folks operate totally on their own as individuals within the community.

If you want to get things done in the OFBiz project, bring your best ideas and enlist others in the community. If your ideas are good, no doubt the community will encourage you, and some of those supporting you will be from HWM. Just because you share an idea, however, does not mean it is a good idea idea that (anyone in) the community will agree with, much less take up and pursue.

In the mean time, feel free to stop imagining that "HWM" is somehow conspiring against you. Believe me, we're not. The fact is that we wish you the best and would love to see you help improve OFBiz through great design, stellar project management, ingenious code, or whatever other aspect may be appropriate for you as an individual.

Best regards,

Mike

Posted by Paul Piper <pp...@ilscipio.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 16/03/2014 08:55, Jacopo Cappellato a écrit :
> * OFBIZ-5312/OFBIZ-4535 (2013/11): initial requirements and comments/reviews; up to now only the experimental SEO branch was affected (the task
> history is a huge mess)

I just wanted to note that I have made an abstract at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-5312?focusedCommentId=13820590
And with this last point https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-5312?focusedCommentId=13936341 this branch is ready to be committed.
Even if I believe it's OK, before committing I'd appreciate if more people could test, thanks!

Jacques

Re: The future of OFBiz - Open Discussion

Posted by Paul Piper <pp...@ilscipio.com>.
@jacopo: Thanks for taking the time to so carefully go over the activity. I
hope you do realize that though I am not always personally submitting
things, a lot is sponsored by my company. It is precisely your attitude that
will eventually break the community

Re: The future of OFBiz - Open Discussion

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Hi Paul,

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Hi Paul,

I don't like personal attacks either but I felt it necessary to make those comments given Pierre's history.  I personally see it more as a defensive action than an offensive one.  The fact is he has in the past been rude, insulted plenty of long time contributors and attempted to cause disharmony within the project using baseless accusations.  The recent chain of events appears to be another round of the same unnecessary behavior and I felt it necessary to provide the bigger picture to those who may be unaware.  I can easily provide links to the various threads if anyone wants to disagree with what I've said but they aren't hard to find on your own (particularly around April/May 2012).

Regards
Scott

Posted by Paul Piper <pp...@ilscipio.com>.
Jacques,

Thanks for clarifying Andrew's status, I must have misread the wiki page.
Then we are down to Paul Foxworthy being the last person having been added
in 2012. The rest of the argument stands as it was.

I would also like to clarify that my post is in no effect meant to be
offensive to anyone. I think that there is an unsatisfactory status quo and
I brought it down to two points. Clearly there are members of the PMC who I
have deep respect for and who are very active. This doesn't change the fact,
however, that the PMC has been very protective over their own status and
seldom chooses to update the list of PMC members, committers and
contributors. I would also like to point out, that over the years I have had
the impression that it is easier for those connected to HWM have a higher
chance of becoming either committers or members of the pmc. It may be only a
personal impression, but it is a very sour one. This being a project driven
by personal investment, it is this that i find worthy of a discussion.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Paul,

Since I was the last one to update the PMC wiki page, let me correct some points in your point 2

Though less, Paul Foxworthy  is still active. You can spot some of his pertinent comments in both the MLs and Jira issues from time to time. We should
always remember that quantity is not quality...

>Andrew Zeneski has been the last addition to the committee in 2013
I don't know how you came to this result. It's clearly specified that Andrew was a co-founder of the project in 2001 and hence part of the PMC the 1st day of the Apache era.

For the rest, I let people defend themselves... if they want...

Note that I made a mistake for Erwan and Bruno, they are still part of the PMC. There is indeed no emeritus status for PMC member. The OFBiz PMC could though create one, each PMC is able to create its own policies:http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#emeritus

Jacques

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.
Paul,

Well said, that is the key problem:
many people people work very hard for the project and do not get any
recognition for it in what ever form.

Not having the key contributors on the ofbiz site main page is an example.

Regards,
Hans

Posted by "David E. Jones" <de...@me.com>.
Thank you Scott. This is an inspiring reminder of how things actually work in the ASF. Apache OFBiz is not managed top-down, it is managed bottom-up based on actual effort and merit. Discussions really only matter if they lead up to an effort that results in actual code/doc/etc changes.

Pierre's message to the Board is a great example of misunderstanding this guiding principle, so I responded in more detail in that thread, but just wanted to throw in my +1 for what you wrote here.

-David

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
No I would say it's a perfectly appropriate venue given the context of the discussion.

Regards
Scott

Posted by Mike <mz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

I herewith take the opportunity to remind you of the upcoming *Open
Discussion on the Health and Future of OFBiz* (3 hour warning notice) at
14:30 AMS time (CET) via teleconference.

The main agenda items are:

   1. the health of the project
   2. the future of the project

The teleconference is hosted by means of the services of
http://freeconferencecall.com , who provides dial-in access numbers in
various countries.

For the different timezone you might be in please find below a shortlist of
the start time in potentially your timezone:

[...]
Please remember the access code needed to participate:

 *Free Conference Call*
 Conference Dial-in Number: +31 (0) 6 35205070 (Number in the Netherlands)
 Participant Access Code: 779895#

<http://www.freeconferencecall.com/fcci/internationalnumbers.aspx?lang=NL&altlang=EN&phonenumber=+31%20(0)%206%2035205070>

When prompted enter the access code that has been assigned, followed by the
# key. Once connected to the conference, you will be able to talk and have
access to the touch tone commands listed below.

Participant Feature KeysExit - exit the callInstructions - conference
instructionsMute/Unmute - caller controlled muting

I look forward to meeting you there and an open and constructive discussion.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by "David E. Jones" <de...@me.com>.

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
The recent answers from Ean and Anil on how they use OFBiz w/o its UI made me thought.

The current project I'm just beginning to work on wants to go even further. The desire is to use OFBiz only as a service engine.
I guess the data model will have to be touched. But for sure the UI will be completely bypassed.

So, it seems this project is going in the same direction than Ean and Anil. Notably what Ean says in his 1st and last section below.

Most of us know now that OFBiz OOTB UI is more a demo/POC to show all OFBiz possibilities. Moreover this UI has not been build from initial
requirements but built steps by steps.
Mostly when contributions from providers's clients allowed it. So it lacks consistency and does not offer a good UX.

Nevertheless, as a long time committer and PMC member, I believe it's our duty to maintain this UI and the tools which allow to build it.
Because it has precisely the merit of showing to new comers what you can do whit OFBiz.
And yes there are new comers starting everyday (I monitor the Nabble forum subscriptions whose give an idea about that)

For instance, in OFBiz using the Flat Grey Theme allows to set an UI in Arab or Hebrew (RTL languages) on 2 clicks.
Also you can use it with a Japanese or Chinese UI. I'm not sure other open source ERPs allow the same...

So I believe we don't need to invest to modernise the UI using tools like Bootstrap, Backbone or what not.
The last effort we made to have all js using jQuery was enough in this direction IMO.

What we need 1st is to take into account the backlog of pending Jira issues with contributions. And I think Jacopo for his initiative!
Prune that and continue to strengthen OFBiz in the field of security (there are a still few pending Jiras at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-1525)

Of course there are some parts which could be enhanced.
I believe most can be found at https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/New+Features+Roadmap+-+Living+Document
It's a good place to put new ideas if you have. BTW, maybe we miss handling permissions using Shiro there...

Now maybe I did not really answer the question about my motivation, but at least it's my current state of mind

Jacques

Posted by Ean Schuessler <ea...@brainfood.com>.
----- "Pierre Smits" <pi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Re: I welcome the suggestion made by David to have each of us explain
> our own motive for participating in this project.

We use OFBiz because it is the most mature Free Software solution we
have found for dealing with "real" e-commerce that has inventory
and manufacturing needs. We no longer use OFBiz as a solution for the
presentation or content management layer because we feel its
capabilities in that space are outclassed by other solutions. We are
starting to do a lot more mobile and HTML5 based interfaces that
rely on OFBiz for handling the underlying business processes.

The combination of the license and capabilities are our motivations
for using the tool. We also have a lot of experience with the OFBiz
internal structure and are hesitant to start over.

Our current focus is on building solutions around the tool rather
than trying to innovate in the tool itself. The capabilities we
utilize in OFBiz are well established so we have not had to make
many general purpose modifications. We have also become much more
aggressive about "mashing up" the "best of breed" to achieve
solutions rather than trying to duplicate capabilities from scratch.

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO
ean@brainfood.com

Re: The future of OFBiz - Open Discussion

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Maybe it is superfluous to add, but better safe than sorry:

Re: I welcome the suggestion made by David to have each of us explain our
own motive for participating in this project. So, what is your personal
mission statement with respect to your involvement in this project?
But I suggest to expand that with: what do you feel the responsibilities
are that come with the privileges of the roles in this project?

Please do this in the light of forward looking, the future of OFBiz. What
everybody has done in the past stands and is persisted (and recognized) in
code, documentation, mailing lists, JIRA, viewsvn, etc.

Posted by Paul Piper <pp...@ilscipio.com>.
@David: You asked me about my personal motivation, so here it is:
I honestly believe that, even though OFBiz has a market at this moment, it
isn’t growing at the pace it would need to sustain itself for a long while.
That isn’t a problem of the software itself, the architecture is great and
the quality is astounding. In order to keep up with competition it will have
to go through various changes in the near future, however. For all this we
would require a growing community with more active committers – the current
state is, however, a declining one. With the current outset, I would give
OFBiz 3-5 more years until either the community has decided to opt out of
further commitment, or people have moved on to other frameworks entirely.  I
love OFBiz, but it is this that I fear the most.
Underneath it all, I have learnt that the OFBiz community isn’t a
particularly friendly one. This wouldn’t be a problem if the documentation
was up to such a level that you wouldn’t rely on the community, but that is,
unfortunately, not the case. Understandably, the problem goes full circle –
it requires a strong community to either work with new members, or create
the necessary documentation to get people started, but we have to begin
somewhere.
That’s why I brought it up earlier in the message list. I am not aiming for
further personal involvement or even as far as a PMC membership (I honestly
wouldn’t even know if I had the time to commit to this). I do, however, fear
that my original two points “Not enough recognition for contributors”,
“static PMC members” are the real dangers here and thus far I haven’t
received a single word back on this. With the experience on how such a
harmless thread even went down – and how Pierre was also assaulted, I would
unfortunately, argue that there lies some truth in what I said. I do
encourage, or hope, however, that the PMC will eventually find ways to
change some of their behavior (mainly: give structure and support, encourage
participation).

How the PMC relies on HWM employees wasn’t even on my original list – just
an added afterthought or possible explanation to its stagnating form.