Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by ia...@felltech.com on 2005/09/27 19:27:28 UTC

WinXP Checkout From svnserve Fails Partway Through

I have a problem with checking out a largeish repository on WinXP.

The server config is:-

Server: 	Redhat 8
SVN: 	svnserve  version 1.2.3 (r15833)

repository format fsfs, size ~33MB

The client config is:-

OS: 	WinXP SP2
SVN: 	svn version 1.2.3 (r15833)

What happens when I checkout on WinXP is that a number of files are checked
out OK,
then it stalls partway through with 'System cannot find the file specified'
error.

This a cutdown of the svn output.

C:\TempData>svn co svn://192.168.1.120/softmsc/trunk SvnTestCo
A    SvnTestCo\cfg
A    SvnTestCo\cfg\config.txt
.
.
.
A    SvnTestCo\current\www\dbview_vlrvlr.htm
A    SvnTestCo\current\www\vlrVLR.htm
svn: In directory 'SvnTestCo\current\www'
svn: Can't copy
'SvnTestCo\current\www\.svn\tmp\text-base\mscactivecalls.htm.svn
-base' to 'SvnTestCo\current\www\mscactivecalls.htm.tmp': The system cannot
find
 the file specified.

C:\TempData>

There is no file in the 'SvnTestCo\current\www\.svn\tmp\text-base'
directory.

I have tried the same checkout using a Linux client, and there is no
problem.

Can anyone help

Regards

Ian Mac

Re: WinXP Checkout From svnserve Fails Partway Through

Posted by Paul Koning <pk...@equallogic.com>.

 >> > NB. it would be probably helpful if TortoiseSVN gave somewhat
 >> more > informative error message in the described situation...

 >> That is not TSVN's job.  It only knows what Subversion tells it.

 Saulius> Sure. I do not mean that TSVN should (or could) _correct_
 Saulius> the situation; yet it would be nice if TSVN would _diagnose_
 Saulius> the situation and explain what to do.

The command line interface has the same issue.

    paul

Re: WinXP Checkout From svnserve Fails Partway Through

Posted by Saulius Grazulis <gr...@ibt.lt>.
On Wednesday 28 September 2005 10:16, you wrote:

> Windows uses a case-insensitive file system.

Well, FAT is case-insensitive, but NTFS is said to be case-preserving (meaning
that 'so4.pdb' will be displayed as 'so4.pdb', 'SO4.pdb' as 'SO4.pdb', but if
you have 'so4.pdb' you can not create 'SO4.pdb' independently).

> > NB. it would be probably helpful if TortoiseSVN gave somewhat more
> > informative error message in the described situation...

> That is not TSVN's job.  It only knows what Subversion tells it.

Sure. I do not mean that TSVN should (or could) _correct_ the situation; yet
it would be nice if TSVN would _diagnose_ the situation and explain what to
do.

Now, AFAIU, it goes like this: TSVN gets 'so4.pdb', puts it onto the Windows
disk, creates some internal information in .svn/ directory; then gets
'SO4.pdb', puts it on the disk (probably silently overwriting the existing
'so4.pdb'), rushes to create the internal information for this file as well
and -- oops! -- some files already exist, or some files are missing, or
whatever. Unfortunately, we end up with a very confusing error message: "svn:
Can't copy
'SvnTestCo\current\www\.svn\tmp\text-base\mscactivecalls.htm.svn-base' to
'SvnTestCo\current\www\mscactivecalls.htm.tmp': The system cannot find the
file specified."

It would be much easier and less confusing to learn that "File
'mscactivecalls.htm' can not be stored on your Windows (NTFS) filesystem,
because the file 'MScactivecalls.htm' already exists. Rename/Skip/Abort?"

--
Dr. Saulius Grazulis

Institute of Biotechnology
Graiciuno 8
LT-02241 Vilnius
Lietuva (Lithuania)

fax:          (+370-5)-2602116
tel.: office: (+370-5)-2602556
      mobile: (+370-684)-49802, (+370-614)-36366

Re: WinXP Checkout From svnserve Fails Partway Through

Posted by Steve Williams <st...@kromestudios.com>.
Saulius Grazulis wrote:
> Unix filesystem is case-sensitive ('so4.pdb' and 'SO4.pdb' are two completely
> different files); windows are -- how it is called? -- case-preserving? Which
> means 'so4.pdb' and 'SO4.pdb' map to the same file, and we have a naming
> conflict.

Windows uses a case-insensitive file system.

> NB. it would be probably helpful if TortoiseSVN gave somewhat more informative
> error message in the described situation...

That is not TSVN's job.  It only knows what Subversion tells it.

In the contrib directory of the Subversion source, there is a script to
use in your pre-commit hook script that prevents commits of files that
only differ in case.

--
Sly

This message and its attachments may contain legally privileged or confidential information. This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you may not copy or deliver this message or its attachments to anyone. Rather, you should permanently delete this message and its attachments and kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail. Any content of this message and its attachments, which does not relate to the official business of the sending company must be taken not to have been sent or endorsed by the sending company or any of its related entities. No warranty is made that the e-mail or attachment(s) are free from computer virus or other defect.

Re: WinXP Checkout From svnserve Fails Partway Through

Posted by Saulius Grazulis <gr...@ibt.lt>.
On Tuesday 27 September 2005 22:27, ianmac@felltech.com wrote:

> C:\TempData>svn co svn://192.168.1.120/softmsc/trunk SvnTestCo
> A    SvnTestCo\cfg
> A    SvnTestCo\cfg\config.txt
> .
> .
> .
> A    SvnTestCo\current\www\dbview_vlrvlr.htm
> A    SvnTestCo\current\www\vlrVLR.htm
> svn: In directory 'SvnTestCo\current\www'
> svn: Can't copy
> 'SvnTestCo\current\www\.svn\tmp\text-base\mscactivecalls.htm.svn
> -base' to 'SvnTestCo\current\www\mscactivecalls.htm.tmp': The system cannot
> find
>  the file specified.
>
> C:\TempData>

A few days ago I ran into a very similar problem, and the reason in my case
was that I had several files which names different only in case:
'minimise.pdb' and 'minimise.PDB', or 'so4.pdb' and 'SO4.pdb', all in the
same directory.

Unix filesystem is case-sensitive ('so4.pdb' and 'SO4.pdb' are two completely
different files); windows are -- how it is called? -- case-preserving? Which
means 'so4.pdb' and 'SO4.pdb' map to the same file, and we have a naming
conflict.

After I have removed or renamed the offending files, a checkout went just
fine.

Maybe your problem is the same? Check for 'MSCActiveCalls.htm'  or something
like this in the repository.

Posted by Scott Palmer <sc...@2connected.org>.
On 27-Sep-05, at 3:27 PM, <ia...@felltech.com> <ia...@felltech.com>
wrote:

> I have a problem with checking out a largeish repository on WinXP.
>

> .
> .
> .
> A    SvnTestCo\current\www\dbview_vlrvlr.htm
> A    SvnTestCo\current\www\vlrVLR.htm
> svn: In directory 'SvnTestCo\current\www'
> svn: Can't copy
> 'SvnTestCo\current\www\.svn\tmp\text-base\mscactivecalls.htm.svn
> -base' to 'SvnTestCo\current\www\mscactivecalls.htm.tmp': The
> system cannot
> find
>  the file specified.

Check for case mixing issues - the WinXP filesystem is case
insensitive... does the msactivecalls.htm file exist with different
case?

Scott