Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/23 18:56:30 UTC

How often to release [Was: Consolidating Subprojects]

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 7:24 AM, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As
> Torsten pointed out, the difficulty managing "multi-releases" is
> also not to be underestimated. IMO we do not do as good a job as we
> should releasing often and early in Commons and I would be hesitant
> to make a change that made that situation worse.

The how often to release question is often on my mind. I've some JIRA
plugins that I generally release as soon as a bug is fixed. Often I'll
put in a bit more effort and there will be a new feature and a bug in
a release - woo :) Same for other non-Apache projects where the number
of bugs tends to be solveable in one sprint for release.

What would things look like if there was a Commons Foo release every
month? What concerns me is that when you do that at the bottom of a
dependency tree you'll have lots of energy spent updating. A yearly
minor release cycle has seemed good, but is it really helping to slow
things down rather than just have the slow updates skip a release?

Release early/often definitely helps in terms of a show of life - Lang
looks inactive after 18 months without a website update, yet lots of
svn activity. Also good in helping out those who are up to date with
the project.

I think I'm convincing myself away from my slow and steady view over
to a release early/often view for Commons. Be interesting to try
anyway :)

Hen