Posted to user@shiro.apache.org by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org> on 2011/05/12 20:46:08 UTC

Roles, Permissions, and Access Control

For those that might want a better backstory on Shiro's approach to
permissions and why it exists, or if you'd like to understand them
better, I created the following blog article:

The New RBAC: Resource-Based Access Control:
http://www.katasoft.com/blog/2011/05/09/new-rbac-resource-based-access-control

I hope it helps people new to Shiro (or new to security in general)
better understand this very powerful feature that has been supported
in Shiro since day one.

Cheers,

--
Les Hazlewood
Founder, Katasoft, Inc.

Re: Roles, Permissions, and Access Control

Posted by Pastore_Italy <m....@datasiel.net>.
Hi,
I appreciate your post.
I would like to suggest you to cite the
http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/SNS/rbac/ NIST RBAC Section  and the
http://csrc.nist.gov/rbac/sandhu-ferraiolo-kuhn-00.pdf  RBAC reference model
that was the base of  ANSI INCITS 359 2004 standard.

Shiro implementation of RBAC how compares to the above standard? What level
it does implement (base, hierarchical, constrained)? What is foreseen in the
roadmap about RBAC and SAML/XACML?

There is any tool to manage Role and Permission configuration?

Do you know any othe open source project that is dealing with RBAC and/or
XACML, apart OpenRBAC, Fortress and SUN XACML implementation?

Thanks for your kind attention
Maurizio