Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Kyle <ky...@ccidomain.com> on 2001/11/28 15:25:13 UTC

MaxClients

Is there a "rule of thumb" way to determine the appropriate MaxClients
setting for my servers?

Also, if I set my MaxClients to let's say 300, is there a way for Apache
to e-mail me to let me know when I have exceeded 250 on that server?  Or
is there a better way to do this?

-Kyle

Re: MaxClients

Posted by jo...@slive.ca.
On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Kyle wrote:

> Joshua,
>
> Thanks.  But that brings up a newbie question <embarrassing grin>.  What
> do you mean by "the server-status module"?  You referring to 'httpd
> status' or something else?

That's actually my fault.  I should have been more precise.  The module is
called mod_status:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_status.html

Joshua.

Re: MaxClients

Posted by Kyle <ky...@ccidomain.com>.
Joshua,

Thanks.  But that brings up a newbie question <embarrassing grin>.  What
do you mean by "the server-status module"?  You referring to 'httpd
status' or something else?

Also thanks for the heads up about the mod_ssl user group earlier.

-Kyle

joshua@slive.ca wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Kyle wrote:
>
> > Is there a "rule of thumb" way to determine the appropriate MaxClients
> > setting for my servers?
>
> If the machine is used only as a web server, you should set MaxClients to
> the highest value that does not cause memory usage to exceed the available
> RAM (ie, make sure the machine isn't thrashing).  Although some
> calculations may help you determine a ballpark, you will probably need to
> monitor the active server for a while to find actual memory usage.
>

> > Also, if I set my MaxClients to let's say 300, is there a way for Apache
> > to e-mail me to let me know when I have exceeded 250 on that server?  Or
> > is there a better way to do this?
>
> Nope.  Apache doesn't send email.  I think there are snmp modules
> available (from covalent?), or you can use the server-status module to
> check up on the server.
>
> Joshua.

Re: MaxClients

Posted by jo...@slive.ca.