Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org> on 2001/09/18 05:25:58 UTC

[ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache Tomcat 4.0 Final Release

It's official!  The Servlet 2.3 and JSP 1.2 specifications are now final,
and so is Apache Tomcat 4.0, which implements the new features of these
specifications plus a host of other functionality improvements over the
current production release (Tomcat 3.2.3).  Please read the
"RELEASE-NOTES-4.0.txt" file in the top level directory of the
distribution for the latest information on recent changes and known
issues.  You can also browse the Tomcat 4.0 documentation bundle online at:

  http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/

Binary distributions of Apache Tomcat 4.0 are available at:

  http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/release/v4.0/

Source distributions of Apache Tomcat 4.0 are available at:

  http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/release/v4.0/src/

Binary and source distributions of the mod_webapp connector will be posted
on Wednesday, September 19, 2001.  If you wish to build the connector in
the mean time, you can check out the jakarta-tomcat-connectors CVS
repository, and follw the directions in the "README.txt" file in the
"webapp" subdirectory.

Craig McClanahan

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache Tomcat 4.0 Final Release

Posted by Bob Jamison <rj...@lincom-asg.com>.
Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

>It's official!  The Servlet 2.3 and JSP 1.2 specifications are now final,

At the site for the specs....

http://www.jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/final/jsr053/

It looks like the actions on the forms are pointing to
an internal LAN name, ( "webwork.eng" ? ) so the final
specs appear to currently be unaccessible.  Are they
really public yet?

Bob

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache Tomcat 4.0 Final Release

Posted by Jonathan Eric Miller <je...@uchicago.edu>.
I second that. You guys are doing a great job. Keep it up. I particularly
like the fact that the developers appear to pay a lot of attention to these
lists. I've gotten answers to questions many times late at night and I just
wanted to say that I very much appreciate it.

Jon

Posted by BillWorker 2i Development Team <bi...@info.com.np>.
David Wall wrote:

> What are people using the 3.2 branch doing to upgrade?  Are most going to
> "wait and see" for a 4.1, or do most people think 4.0 is going to be as
> stable (or more) than the 3.2 code?

We are waiting. We know our web application works fine with 3.2.3 and
don't want to switch till we hear feedback from others.

Ashish

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache Tomcat 4.0 Final Release

Posted by David Wall <dw...@Yozons.com>.
What are people using the 3.2 branch doing to upgrade?  Are most going to
"wait and see" for a 4.1, or do most people think 4.0 is going to be as
stable (or more) than the 3.2 code?

David

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache Tomcat 4.0 Final Release

Posted by Jim Cheesman <jc...@msl.es>.

Posted by Kevin Jones <ke...@develop.com>.
> Javadocs).  I see that I forgot to put up the binary distributions of
> jakarta-servletapi-4; will do that in a sec.

That's what I meant - thanks

Kevin Jones
Developmentor
www.develop.com

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 18 Sep 2001, Kevin Jones wrote:

> Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 08:36:55 +0100
> From: Kevin Jones <ke...@develop.com>
> To: tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: RE: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache Tomcat 4.0 Final Release
>
> Excellent :-)
>
> But where's the servlet API jar?

The "servlet.jar" file is inside the Tomcat distro (along with the
Javadocs).  I see that I forgot to put up the binary distributions of
jakarta-servletapi-4; will do that in a sec.

> Kevin Jones
> Developmentor
> www.develop.com

Craig

Posted by Kevin Jones <ke...@develop.com>.
Excellent :-)

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org> wrote:

> It's official!  The Servlet 2.3 and JSP 1.2 specifications are now final,
> and so is Apache Tomcat 4.0, which implements the new features of these
> specifications plus a host of other functionality improvements over the
> current production release (Tomcat 3.2.3).  Please read the
> "RELEASE-NOTES-4.0.txt" file in the top level directory of the
> distribution for the latest information on recent changes and known
> issues.  You can also browse the Tomcat 4.0 documentation bundle online at:
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/
>
> Binary distributions of Apache Tomcat 4.0 are available at:
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/release/v4.0/
>
> Source distributions of Apache Tomcat 4.0 are available at:
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/release/v4.0/src/
>
> Binary and source distributions of the mod_webapp connector will be posted
> on Wednesday, September 19, 2001.  If you wish to build the connector in
> the mean time, you can check out the jakarta-tomcat-connectors CVS
> repository, and follw the directions in the "README.txt" file in the
> "webapp" subdirectory.

Good... I can catch my flight now, then... See you all on the other side of
the planet (aka, California here I come)

BTW, Congrats to the team :)

    Pier