Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Leif Mortenson <le...@silveregg.co.jp> on 2002/03/27 12:45:03 UTC

Excalibur ant.properties.sample

I added all of the jars that the sub projects require to the ant.properties.sample file in
the root.  Can others take a look at these and make sure that you agree with the defaults.
It would be nice to have this in one place as well as in each of the sub projects to make
it easier to get up and running.

Also, what do you think about creating a lib directory in the root where many of these
jars could be placed by default.  It would sure make it easier for new users to get up
and running.   I am also concerned with problems that may crop up from people using
different versions of some of these jars.  It would be fine to allow that, but having
working jars all included in the project would also be nice.

Cheers,
Leif

Re: Excalibur ant.properties.sample

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 28 Mar 2002 20:30, Leif Mortenson wrote:
> >>Also, what do you think about creating a lib directory in the root where
> >> many of these jars could be placed by default.
> >
> > Placed there by us (checked into CVS) or users?
>
> I was thinking that it would be good to have them checked in.  It increases
> the size of the distribution, but it makes it so much easier for new users
> to get up and running. The jars wouldn't change often so it shouldn't
> affect update times at all once they are checked out.

Well if you can handle holding off for a few weeks we may be able to avoid.
If we adopt maven then it will download the correct jars (if needed) into a
central location and we wont need to keep jars in CVS. Even if we don't adopt
maven we can add in a auto-download capability to our build scripts.

The reason I am reluctant to do it is because of something that happened in
the phoenix module. A while back I downloaded phoenix and couldn't get
certain features of parser to work. Anyways it was because some one had
checked in a different parser into tools/lib/* or tools/ext/* or something.
And this broke phoenix which had been using a library compiled against a
different version of parser.

Then the next week I did the same and it was broken again because of a
mismatch between jars stored in phoenixs lib and jars stored in tools/**.
Then the same thing happened to cornerstone CVS, and phoenix CVS again.

At that point I decided to never use the build.* scripts ever again and so
far I have only had one jar mismatch problem and all has been good.

Sometimes checking in jars is fine if they are unstable or you need a
specific snapshot. But for jars like xerces/xalan/ant/junit which are stable
I don't think its a good idea.

If we can integrate an update-jars functionality (via maven or otherwise)
then I think that would still keep things easy. It would also make things
much easier to manage in long term IMHO.

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: Excalibur ant.properties.sample

Posted by Leif Mortenson <le...@silveregg.co.jp>.

Jeff Turner wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 08:45:03PM +0900, Leif Mortenson wrote:
>
>>I added all of the jars that the sub projects require to the ant.properties.sample file in
>>the root.  Can others take a look at these and make sure that you agree with the defaults.
>>It would be nice to have this in one place as well as in each of the sub projects to make
>>it easier to get up and running.
>>

> Cool. As long as they're also in subproject's ant.properties.sample so
> they can be built independently.

I agree.  That is how it is now.

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@socialchange.net.au>.
On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 08:45:03PM +0900, Leif Mortenson wrote:
> I added all of the jars that the sub projects require to the ant.properties.sample file in
> the root.  Can others take a look at these and make sure that you agree with the defaults.
> It would be nice to have this in one place as well as in each of the sub projects to make
> it easier to get up and running.

Cool. As long as they're also in subproject's ant.properties.sample so
they can be built independently.

> Also, what do you think about creating a lib directory in the root where many of these
> jars could be placed by default.

Placed there by us (checked into CVS) or users?

> It would sure make it easier for new users to get up and running.

> I am also concerned with problems that may crop up from people using
> different versions of some of these jars.  It would be fine to allow that, but having
> working jars all included in the project would also be nice.

mavenmavenmavenmaven.. :)

Depends on how much bigger the jars would make the distro. Cost/benefit.
Avalon-apps has grown to 20mb following the jars-in-CVS approach.

--Jeff