Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Peter Konstantinov <pa...@iu6.ru> on 2006/07/21 12:13:26 UTC

[JCI] gsoc report

Hey guys,
here's my report of what i've done  for Google Summer of Code
(project JCI) during last month.
The ' to-do' for me was to create a implementations for the following
compillers:

  o javac
   o jikes
   o pizza
   o jruby
   o jpython

Since I'm sure that of those five Javac is the most important, i was
mostly concentrated on designing a interface for it. I'm almost
through it - here's what i've done:
  - a configuration class for Javac to which you can pass a number of
parameters (just as you can do with Ant as you know)
  - feature that supports parsing of  compilation results for javac
  - since JCI uses resource reader and you don't physically have
files in your access - while javac needs them - i've wrote a class
that emulates file respond when you request a Resource Reader

Along with all mentioned above, I've began to design a maven plugin
for JCI. So far I can start in, but the difference among confgurators
of different JCI  compilers remains the main problem here. I think of
creating a factory that processes configuration of all those
compilers from maven config

So here's my plans for the following several weeks: I plan to start
working on the net compiler (that would be jikes), and along with
that I wlll proceed on creating that factory for maven.

Peter

Re: Re: [JCI] gsoc report

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 7/22/06, Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Any idea if the Harmony project recommends a particular compiler?
>
> Why should that matter?? JCI is about abstracting as many compilers as
> possible. Whether I like it or not I think Peter is right - javac is
> the reference ...so support for that is a high priority.
>
> ...or what do you mean?

Interop with Harmony would be a good second priority; good
cross-community experience for both JCI and Peter and some nice
eat-our-own-dog-food. Not a biggy though - just a thought that sprang
to mind (and was inadequately detailed as per usual :) ).

Hen

Re: Re: [JCI] gsoc report

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
> Any idea if the Harmony project recommends a particular compiler?

Why should that matter?? JCI is about abstracting as many compilers as
possible. Whether I like it or not I think Peter is right - javac is
the reference ...so support for that is a high priority.

...or what do you mean?

cheers
--
Torsten

Re: [JCI] gsoc report

Posted by Peter Konstantinov <pa...@iu6.ru>.
On 21.07.2006, at 20:09, Henri Yandell wrote:

> Any idea if the Harmony project recommends a particular compiler?
No

Re: [JCI] gsoc report

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Re: [JCI] gsoc report

Posted by Peter Konstantinov <pa...@iu6.ru>.
> Which is excellent ...it would nice to replace the javassist
> dependency by
>
> http://vafer.org/projects/dependency/howto.html
>
> though (by using the RenamingVisitor)
Ok
> I am currently fideling around with that. Expect a post soon.
>
>> So here's my plans for the following several weeks: I plan to start
>> working on the net compiler (that would be jikes),
>
> You mean "next" right? ;) ...yes, that would be great.
Yes
> So javac is already working fine - except for the configuration part?
Configuration part is ok, but there are still some issues  i'm
currently trying to design a little better than they are now

>> and along with
>> that I wlll proceed on creating that factory for maven.
>
> Can you elaborate a bit on this? Not sure what you mean ...for the
> configuration?

I need to configure with one maven config a number of different
compilers. I'll create e fabric for configuration of these compilers
from one maven config

Peter

Re: [JCI] gsoc report

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
> here's my report of what i've done  for Google Summer of Code

Thanks for the summary, Peter