Posted to dev@steve.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> on 2013/06/12 00:45:14 UTC

Sending email

Hey all,

I was thinking that we could have Apache Steve be configured for
sending email in one of two ways:

1) via piping to a subprocess, such as sendmail or similarly-flavored MTA

2) connecting/sending to an SMTP port

Both are easy (subprocess and smtplib modules). Just a bit of config.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
-g

Re: Sending email

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
We know that, at least for us, #1 works. So I'd say we make
sure #1 works and then add #2 as a run-time config option
afterwards.

Ideally, we get the Python variant is the same shape as
the Perl one and can then add the enhancements and fixes
we want... My 2c

Re: Sending email

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 8:09 AM,  <ke...@apache.org> wrote:
>> My ISP won't let me connect to port 25 anywhere on the Internet. From
>> my home, I cannot use plain old SMTP to send email
>
> Does your ISP provide its own STMP for its subscribers?

Never investigated it. I just ssh'd to people.a.o to do my port 25 testing :-)

Usually, there is some kind of authentication step, and then you can
connect to their servers. That prevents zombies from using the port.

I don't propose that level of outbound email support. Just bare port
25, or via cmdline.

Cheers,
-g

Re: Sending email

Posted by ke...@apache.org.
> My ISP won't let me connect to port 25 anywhere on the Internet. From
> my home, I cannot use plain old SMTP to send email

Does your ISP provide its own STMP for its subscribers?

--k

Re: Sending email

Posted by Alan Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
+1 on 1 and 2