Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Bill MacPhee <w-...@exodus.co.jp> on 2001/09/05 08:52:15 UTC

mod_rewrite/8298: Proxy option appears to have a bad rule

>Number:         8298
>Category:       mod_rewrite
>Synopsis:       Proxy option appears to have a bad rule
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
According to the documentation the proxy redirection of a URL on a machine to another
URL on the same machine is not allowed as it is labled "silly".  However, there is
at least one legitimate reason for doing this.  If you have a dynamic site that can't
have it's pages submitted to search engines (ie: everything is someURL/product.php?sku=1234)
and you need to have pages listed in search engines so you redirect it to look static
(ie: otherURL/product/sku/1234).  If I understand the proxy option properly it should
take the data from the dynamic url and feed it out to the new static url allowing the
same page data to be found from either URL.
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
allow proxy to work from the same machine, and optimize if possible
 [to include <ap...@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]