Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Kevin Tung <kt...@greaterthanone.com> on 2003/03/07 00:36:54 UTC

getPathInfo with Struts/Resin?

Hi,

I have searched the archives and the newsgroups but couldn't find an answer
that applies to my specific environment, hopefully someone here has done
this before.

I am running Struts 1.1b3 (didn't work with 1.1b2 either) with Resin 2.1.6

I want to be able to do the following

www.somehost.com/myapp/execute/edit/username/
www.somehost.com/myapp/execute/view/username/

where view and edit will map to different Actions.  And within each action,
I want to be able to retrieve the username by using getPathInfo().

in my web.xml

  <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>action</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>/execute/*</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>

in my struts_config.xml

    <action     path="/edit" type="com.mycomp.EditAction"/>

But when I point the browser to

www.somehost.com/myapp/execute/edit/username/ I end up with a

400 Invalid path /edit/username/

And www.somehost.com/myapp/execute/edit/ gets me

400 Invalid path /

But And www.somehost.com/myapp/execute/edit (without the slash)

Works fine, but it's without the path info..

Is this a resin issues? or could this be a struts config issue?  Has anyone
gotten this scenario to work with Struts and Resin? or even another
container?  Some config samples would be very helpful!!

Thanks,
Kevin

Re: getPathInfo with Struts/Resin?

Posted by usha <us...@justcommodity.com>.
Hi

Can anybody help me. i have the similar problem i was trying to get the
solution for this. i wanted to know is this possible in struts to give
the URL like this. in servlets we can have the URL like this. if this
not possible in struts is there any other way to achieve this. plz help
me...

usha

Posted by usha <us...@justcommodity.com>.
Hi Kevin

I also have similar problem. did you able to found any solution for this.

Thanks
usha

Posted by Owen Medd <os...@careersite.com>.
We discovered the limit of the action mapping capability early on with
one project I was doing and actually wrote a new mapper that matched
based on subsets of the full pathinfo string.  We ended up not using
struts for that project, but enhancing the action map matching was
pretty useful.  Our big problem was using something that was not part of
the core struts distribution and it was apparent our changes were far
too late to make into a possible 1.1 feature.

Owen

Posted by Kevin Tung <kt...@greaterthanone.com>.
Hi Kris,

The examples I had given are simplified (probably too much so).

In practice, we need to allow search engine to be able to index the site
correctly.  Some of the search engines we work with have issues with "?" and
query strings in general.  Also in our app, the extra path info is used to
indicate content.

www.somehose.com/myapp/homepagelayout/file1.jsp

So it is not really dynamic, in that sense.

I see your point about additional path info causing action mapping to fail.
Looks like it's just not possible with struts, regardless of container.  I
suppose I will have to use a filter to pre-process the request.

Thanks
Kevin

Kris Schneider <ma...@dotech.com>
D.O.Tech       <http://www.dotech.com/>