Posted to users@tomee.apache.org by tonywestonuk <to...@totspics.com> on 2016/10/18 21:38:10 UTC

Websockets SSL performance issue

Hi,

after having severe performance issues with just 20 or so people using my
tomee based Game on facebook,  I moved it behind a proxy, allowing apache to
do the SSL.

Moving the normal HTTP traffic, not much change in CPU.  Stuck at 350-400%.

Moving the websocket SSL traffic..... BOOM, huge drop in cpu. Now ticking
over about 30%.

There is something in the SSL websocket code that is causing a massive
slowdown.
This doesn't happen with the normal, unencrypted websocket (they are still
being used after all), but SSL enabled websockets are pretty much broken
performance wise.

Not sure if to post here, or on the Tomcat forums.

Re: Websockets SSL performance issue

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tony,

should be tomcat more than tomee (but feel free to keep us Cc) since we
don't handle that part at all.

Romain Manni-Bucau