Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Arnold Shore <as...@dgs.dgsys.com> on 2001/06/17 14:58:55 UTC

newbie: Sample autoexec.bat, pls?

Guys, would someone pls post/attach a working copy of subject file?

Sorry to be a bother, but without a working knowledge of the DOS syntax
here, and the documentation's use of conventions to refer to
_your_directory_ etc, I can't always tell one from t'other, and I want to
ensure that my foundations is right - so as to further bother you all the
least.  Thanks, all.

Arnold Shore
Confused in Annapolis, MD USA

Re: newbie: Sample autoexec.bat, pls?

Posted by Luba Powell <lu...@bellatlantic.net>.
Just any autoexec.bat ?
Here is one:

@ECHO OFF
@REM Setup for QR, BW & HIBERNATE
@PATH
C:\CPQS\SAVEREST;C:\CPQS\TOOLS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\WINDOWS;%PATH%;C:\IMAGE
W~1\GVPD;
@IF EXIST C:\APPL.ZIP\*.* IF EXIST C:\WINDOWS\SMARTDRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SMARTDRV.EXE
@IF EXIST C:\CPQS\SAVEREST\QRSETUP.* CALL C:\CPQS\SAVEREST\QRSETUP /MFG C:
D: E: F:
CALL c:\hibernat\hibchk.bat
@ECHO OFF

PATH=%PATH%;C:\jdk1.3\bin;c:\j2sdkee1.2.1\bin;C:\bdk1.1\beanbox;
SET path="C:\Program Files\Oracle\jre\1.1.7\bin";"%path%";
SET Path=c:\Oracle\Ora81\bin;"%Path%"
SET Path=C:\IMAGEW~1\GVPD;C:\MSSQL7\BINN;"%Path%"
SET Path=C:\jasmin\bin;"%Path%"

Posted by Arnold Shore <as...@dgs.dgsys.com>.

Posted by Luba Powell <lu...@bellatlantic.net>.
Not a problem.  Here it is.

Essential DOS Commands and Concepts
Backup Files
Change the Default Drive
CHDIR (CD) Change Directory Command
COPY Command
DIR (Directory) Command
ERASE Command
File-Naming Conventions
FORMAT Command
MKDIR (MD) Make Directory Command
Rebooting the computer (Ctrl-Alt-Del)
RENAME (REN) Command
RMDIR (RD) Remove Directory Command
Stop Execution (Ctrl-Break)
Introduction
DOS (an acronym for Disk Operation System) is a tool which allows you to
control the operation of the IBM PC. DOS is software which was written to
control hardware. IDRISI, Atlas*GIS, Microstation, AutoCAD, CPS/PC, and
ARC/INFO are, in turn, application software which run under DOS. By this we
mean that, although IDRISI, Atlas*GIS, Microstation, AutoCAD, CPS/PC, and
ARC/INFO were written to accomplish a single task or application (in this
case manipulation of spatially related data), they must use DOS to pursue
its work.
DOS can be used for a wide range of tasks far beyond the requirements of
this class. You will be able to manage well if you master only a small
subset of DOS commands and functions. These relate almost exclusively to
file and directory management and are introduced in this handout.

This tip sheet assumes that you have learned how to turn on the PCs as they
are configured in room 230 and that you have familiarized yourself with
their keyboards (no small task in itself). It also assumes that you
understand the meaning of the concept of a file and the elements of a file
specification (drive, filename, and extension). The microcomputers you will
be using are equipped with two floppy disk drives. The A-drive is the 3.5"
(1.44MB) drive and the B-drive is the 5.25" (360KB) drive. The
microcomputers also contain a C-drive, a hard disk drive of 130MB or 200MB
capacity.

You will quickly find that the best way to learn how to use a computer is
through experimentation. That is, once you have learned a command, try some
variations until they don't work, then start over. Often there are five or
six ways for you to accomplish a particular task. Usually, I will introduce
you to only one, leaving it up to you to discover the rest. Don't hesitate
to consult the DOS Reference Manual; copies can be found on the bookcase in
room 230. Finally, don't be unduly disturbed by error messages. With
computers, one of the best ways to learn is by making mistakes.

Most of the common DOS commands you need to use for this class (copy,
rename, delete) are available to you in Windows through the Filemanager
icon. And, since you can move back and forth between DOS and Windows, it
doesn't matter which option you employ. Some commands are faster in invoke
in Windows, some in DOS. If you haven't worked with Windows previously, go
to the Windows tutorials in the help area.

Backup Files
It is possible to lose files by mistake, although the more you practice the
less likely it becomes. For your own peace of mind, it is good practice to
make backup copies of your most valuable files on a separate diskette. Store
your backup disk in a safe place and don't carry it through a metal
detector. Use the COPY command to create the backup.
There is no need to backup every file you create, only the ones in which
you've invested much work. Also, prune your backup diskette every week or
two using the ERASE command. Backup files which have been made redundant by
subsequent additions will simply create clutter on your backup diskette. An
effective file naming convention is essential to keeping track of your
backups.

Change the Default Drive
To change the default drive, simply type the letter of the your choice. The
new default will be listed in subsequent DOS prompts.
Example:

C> A: [enter]
Changes the default drive from C to A.
A> C: [enter]
Changes the default drive from A to C.
[enter] means that you must press the Enter Key before the format command
will execute. [Enter] is required after any DOS command, it is assumed in
all commands found below.

CHDIR (CD) Change Directory Command
Once you have located the directory you want, you may move from directory to
directory using the CD command (change directory)
Example:

C> cd furniture
Moves you to the directory called 'FURNITURE'
C> cd \furniture\chairs
Moves you to the directory called 'CHAIRS' under the directory called
'FURNITURE'.
C> cd ..
Moves you up one level in the path.
C> cd \
Takes you back to the root directory (c: in this case).
COPY Command
The COPY command can be used both to copy files from disk to disk or to
create a second copy of a file on a single disk. (There are many more uses
of the COPY command, but only the basic operation is discussed here.)
Example:

C> copy c:kermit.exe a:
Copies the file 'KERMIT.EXE' from the C drive to the A drive and gives it
the same name.
C> copy a:brazil1.dat b:\south\brazil2.dat
Creates a copy of 'BRAZIL1.DAT' from drive A on drive B, putting it in the
'SOUTH' subdirectory and renaming it 'BRAZIL2.DAT'.
The key to use this command correctly is to remember that the first file
specified after the COPY command is the source file, the second is the
target:ehp1 file. The source is the file to be copied. The target will be
the location and name of the new file. If the file name and extension are
omitted after the target's drive specification, the new file will have
exactly the same name as the source file.
Example:

C> copy a:myfile.txt b:
C> copy c:command.com b:com.com
C> copy b:golly.gee a:whao.boy
C> copy command.* a:
C> copy a:mymap.dwg c:\maps
Note: it is always good practice to us the complete file specifications for
both source and target files, Be very sure of yourself before you accept
defaults or employ wild-card characters. Otherwise you may end up with some
interesting results. Incomplete or incorrect source names may result in
errors, such as the command: copy edlin a:myomy.bat. Try it and see what
happens.

DIR (Directory) Command
The DIRECTORY command lists the names and sizes of all files located on a
particular disk.
Example:

C> dir a:
Shows directory of drive A
C> dir b:
Shows directory of drive B
C> dir \agis
Shows files in a subdirectory on drive C (default)
C> dir
Shows directory of drive C
C> dir /w
Shows directory in wide format, as opposed to a vertical listing.
All the files are listed at the screen, you can stop the display by typing
CTRL-BREAK. If you ask for a directory on the A or B drives, be sure there
is a diskette in the drive and that the diskette has been formatted. If the
drive is empty, or if the diskette is unformatted, the DOS will respond with
an error message.

DIR Options
Two little characters, '*' and '?', will make your life with computers much
easier. Their use is illustrated below.
Example:

C> dir a:*.ex
Lists all files on the A drive with an extension of 'EXE'.
C> dir b:kermit.*
Lists all files on the B drive with a filename of 'KERMIT'.
The asterisk is a wild-card character which allows the user to enter only a
limited part of a file specification to find a file. It is useful when you
wish to locate a group of files with the same filename or the same
extension. On other occasions you may have forgotten part of a file
specification. You can use '*' in place of the parts of the specification
you have forgotten. Similarly, '?' permits wild-card searches keyed to
single characters.
Example:

C> dir a:labe?.com
Lists all five-letter files with the first four letters 'LABE' and an
extension of 'COM'.
C> dir b:format.c??
Lists all files with a filename of 'FORMAT' and an extension beginning with
'C'.
Wild-card characters can be used in combination.
Example:

C> dir a:labe?.*
Lists all five-letter files with the first four letters 'LABE' and any
extension.
C> dir c:*.ex?
Lists all files with an extension beginning with 'EX'.
Experiment with '*' and '?' to improve your ability to find files quickly.
These wild-card characters can also be used with several other DOS commands.

ERASE Command
The ERASE command deletes specified files.
Example:

C> erase a:myfile.txt
Erases the file MYFILE.TXT from the diskette in the A drive. If no drive
specification is entered, the system looks to delete the specified file form
drive C (in this case).
IMPORTANT WARNING: This command is easy to use, but it is the most dangerous
one you will encounter in DOS (apart form FORMAT). If you aren't careful,
you may delete a file which you--or someone else--needs. And, unless you
have saved a backup of that file, the erased file is gone for good. For this
reason it is good practice to use only complete file specifications with the
ERASE command (and to keep backups of your most valuable files). As a safety
precaution, never use the wild-card characters '*' and '?' in ERASE
commands.
BEWARE: I will rescind your laboratory privileges for a full week if you
ever knowingly use either the command: erase c:*.*, or the command: erase
*.*. Guess what happens?

File-Naming Conventions
Careful file naming can save time. Always choose names which provide a clue
to the file's contents. If you are working with a series of related files,
use a number somewhere in the name to indicate which version you have
created. This applies only to the filename parameter; most of the file
extension parameters you will be using are predetermined (or reserved by DOS
for certain types of file).
Example:

WORLD.DAT
An ATLAS*GRAPHICS file containing data for a world map. The DAT extension is
required by ATLAS*GRAPHICS.
BRAZIL.BNB
A boundary file of Brazil in binary form.
BRIT1.DAT
BRIT2.DAT
BRIT3.DAT
Three versions of a data file for a map of Britain.
FORMAT Command
You must format new disks before using them on the IBM computers. The format
command checks a diskette for flaws and creates a directory where all the
names of the diskette's files will be stored.
Example:

C> format a:
Formats the diskette in the A drive.
C> format b:
After entering this command, follow the instructions on the screen. When the
FORMAT operation is complete, the system will ask if you wish to FORMAT more
diskettes. If you are working with only one diskette, answer N (No) and
carry on with you work. If you wish to FORMAT several diskettes, answer Y
(Yes) until you have finished formatting all your diskettes.
BEWARE: Executing the format command with a diskette which already contains
files will result in the deletion of all the contents of the entire disk. It
is best to execute the format command only on new diskettes. If you format
an old diskette make sure it contains nothing you wish to save.

MKDIR (MD) Make Directory Command
This command creates a new directory.
Example:

C> mkdir mine
Creates a directory called 'MINE'
Rebooting the computer (Ctrl-Alt-Del)
In some cases, when all attempts to recover from a barrage of error messages
fails, as a last resort you can reboot the computer. To do this, you press,
all at once, the control, alternate and delete.
BEWARE: If you re-boot, you may loose some of your work--any data active in
RAM which has not yet been saved to disk.

RENAME (REN) Command
The RENAME command permits users to change the name of a file without making
a copy of it.
Example:

C> ren a:goofy.txt pluto.txt
Changes the name of 'GOOFY.TXT' on the A drive to 'PLUTO.TXT'.
This command is very simple to use, just remember two points: the file name
and extension must be complete for the source file and no drive
specification is given for the target. Renaming can only occur on a single
disk drive (otherwise COPY must be used).

RMDIR (RD) Remove Directory Command
This command removes a directory. It is only possible to execute this
command if the directory you wish to remove is empty.
Example:

C> rd mine
Removes directory called 'MINE'.
Stop Execution (Ctrl-Break)
If you wish to stop the computer in the midst of executing the current
command, you may use the key sequence Ctrl-Break. Ctrl-Break does not always
work with non-DOS commands. Some software packages block its action in
certain situations, but it is worth trying before you re-boot.