Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org> on 2008/06/16 02:48:35 UTC

Python Software Foundation license

Here's a possible Category A (as part discussed in LEGAL-13):

http://www.opensource.org/licenses/PythonSoftFoundation.php

Any reason not to add it to Category A? The only part that jumps out
as at all odd is the Python specific requirement - you have to
summarize any changes you make if it is Python or a part of Python.
Given that AL 2.0 states:

     "(b) You must cause any modified files to carry prominent notices
          stating that You changed the files; and"

That doesn't seem like a problem for us.

Any thoughts to the contrary?

Hen

Re: Python Software Foundation license

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <rd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 18:37 -0700, Henri Yandell wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 9:28 AM, Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org> wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 5:48 PM, Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> Here's a possible Category A (as part discussed in LEGAL-13):
> >>
> >> http://www.opensource.org/licenses/PythonSoftFoundation.php
> >>
> >> Any reason not to add it to Category A? The only part that jumps out
> >> as at all odd is the Python specific requirement - you have to
> >> summarize any changes you make if it is Python or a part of Python.
> >> Given that AL 2.0 states:
> >>
> >>     "(b) You must cause any modified files to carry prominent notices
> >>          stating that You changed the files; and"
> >>
> >> That doesn't seem like a problem for us.
> >>
> >> Any thoughts to the contrary?
> >
> > I looked at it a little while ago (checking if some other policy on
> > no-source for category B wouldn't bite our collective arse later on) and it
> > seemed to me like a good category A as well.
>
> I've added this to the Category A list.

+1

--
New signing subkey for emails: please refresh key from server

Re: Python Software Foundation license

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org>.
On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 5:48 PM, Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org> wrote:

> Here's a possible Category A (as part discussed in LEGAL-13):
>
> http://www.opensource.org/licenses/PythonSoftFoundation.php
>
> Any reason not to add it to Category A? The only part that jumps out
> as at all odd is the Python specific requirement - you have to
> summarize any changes you make if it is Python or a part of Python.
> Given that AL 2.0 states:
>
>     "(b) You must cause any modified files to carry prominent notices
>          stating that You changed the files; and"
>
> That doesn't seem like a problem for us.
>
> Any thoughts to the contrary?

I looked at it a little while ago (checking if some other policy on
no-source for category B wouldn't bite our collective arse later on) and it
seemed to me like a good category A as well.

Cheers,
Matthieu