Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Ferdinand Soethe <sa...@soethe.net> on 2005/05/10 23:29:03 UTC

Clean up freshsite to be just that

I'd like to reduce freshsite to be what the name says: a fresh site
w/o content and menus. Are there reasons to have it like this, do we
need to offer two different options like

        forrest seed (for bare bones fresh site)
        forrest demo (to generate a demo site)

If the latter is possible and required, I suggest to extend it
(gradually) to show more configuration options with tabs and site.

--
Ferdinand Soethe

Re: Clean up freshsite to be just that

Posted by Juan Jose Pablos <ch...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Prior to this change raw content was kept in a separate directory. This
> meant users had to manage two directory structures, which, more of ten
> than not, were the same. Now we just place the *raw* files in the xdocs
> directory. (which means the xdocs name is now misleading hence the
> proposal to remove it after 0.7).

That is why I think that we should remove xdocs content. WDYT?

Re: Clean up freshsite to be just that

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Juan Jose Pablos wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>>Ferdinand Soethe wrote:

>>>will do that when this whole issue is cleared up and descided and I
>>>know what is now and what will be.
>>

>>For the 0.7 release it has been decided because it is too much work to
>>change it before the 0.7. The wider update is scheduled for 0.8.
>>
>>Images stay put for now.
>

>>xdocs remains as is for now.
>
> If this needs to be done. The sooner, the better.

This is only one part of a more wide ranging change. It requires a big
clean up of docs, which will take some time. These cahnges are scheduled
for 0.8 and have been (http://issues.cocoondev.org/browse/FOR-187 ).

0.7 is already well overdue and it is important we get it out. I am -1
on delaying it any further.

Ross

Re: Clean up freshsite to be just that

Posted by Juan Jose Pablos <ch...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ferdinand Soethe <sa...@soethe.net>.

Ross Gardler wrote:

> Yes - and perhaps you didn't know that because the docs need updating
> (that's the issue I linked to earlier, hint hint - only if you have time
> of course, please don't feel badgered by my point this out repeatedly)

will do that when this whole issue is cleared up and descided and I
know what is now and what will be.

>> But then I don't understand the ongoing discussion about putting
>> images in resources. Are they not also unprocessed content?

> Images seem to be an exception, but I can't tell you why. Perhaps we can
> move this part of the discussion to the docs reorg. thread.

Yes, fine by me. I'll mention it there.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Re: Clean up freshsite to be just that

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Juan Jose Pablos <ch...@apache.org>.
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:

> Ross Gardler wrote:
>

>>The way we handle raw content has changed (it no longer has its own
>>directory it is kept alongside the "to be processed" content). As a
>>consequence the documentation is incorrect. Someone needs to go through
>>the docs and correct it. We also need some samples adding to fresh-site
>>(or the proposed demo site).
>

> Thanks for making that clearer. Will try to take care of that soon.
>
> But while we are at it and since I just suggested to go back to having
> raw content in the same dir, can you tell what the reason behind the
> separation was?

> Ferdinand Soethe

it was to allow raw content be processed without transformation (java
files and such)

Cheers,
cheche

Re: Clean up freshsite to be just that

Posted by Ferdinand Soethe <sa...@soethe.net>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-05-11 at 00:55 +0200, Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
>

>>Ross Gardler wrote:
>>
>>RG> Perhaps you could start with
>>RG> http://issues.cocoondev.org/browse/FOR-470
>>RG> as this is a blocker for the 0.7 release
>>
>>will try and look at that tomorrow: right now I understand only half
>>of what I'm reading there.

The way we handle raw content has changed (it no longer has its own
directory it is kept alongside the "to be processed" content). As a
consequence the documentation is incorrect. Someone needs to go through
the docs and correct it. We also need some samples adding to fresh-site
(or the proposed demo site).

> Me neither. ;-) I guess Ross meant mainly
> http://issues.cocoondev.org/browse/FOR-362

I did *not* mean that one. That should *not* happen before 0.7 is
released. Too much work, it'll delay 0.7 for another month.

Ross

Re: Clean up freshsite to be just that

Posted by Ferdinand Soethe <sa...@soethe.net>.

Thorsten Scherler wrote:

> Me neither. ;-) I guess Ross meant mainly
> http://issues.cocoondev.org/browse/FOR-362

No I don't think so, but this a good issue for the thread about
renaming things. Sorry for not having read the issues first. I'll

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2005-05-11 at 00:55 +0200, Ferdinand Soethe wrote:

> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
> RG> Perhaps you could start with
> RG> http://issues.cocoondev.org/browse/FOR-470
> RG> as this is a blocker for the 0.7 release
>
> will try and look at that tomorrow: right now I understand only half
> of what I'm reading there.

Me neither. ;-) I guess Ross meant mainly
http://issues.cocoondev.org/browse/FOR-362

> --
> Ferdinand Soethe

salu2
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

Re: Clean up freshsite to be just that

Posted by Ferdinand Soethe <sa...@soethe.net>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
> I'd like to reduce freshsite to be what the name says: a fresh site
> w/o content and menus. Are there reasons to have it like this, do we
> need to offer two different options like
>
>         forrest seed (for bare bones fresh site)
>         forrest demo (to generate a demo site)
>
> If the latter is possible and required, I suggest to extend it
> (gradually) to show more configuration options with tabs and site.

It has been suggested a few times that we provide a bare bones site as a
seed as well as a demo site.

I think the demo site is needed as it shows what forrest can do quickly
and simply. The seed site used to be much simpler, but over time it has
grown into a demo site.

It would be great to see a bare bones site and an enhanced demo site.