Posted to dev@groovy.apache.org by Peter Ledbrook <pe...@cacoethes.co.uk> on 2016/02/01 09:18:51 UTC

Re: API document generation

> The only option for standard doclets to work with Groovydoc is for
> Groovydoc to be base don the standard Javadoc API.

Is that something that's worth aiming for? Is it even feasible?

I'm also wondering whether others think groovydoc is just fine as it is,
since this thread has so little attention. If that's the consensus, cool.

Peter

--
Peter Ledbrook
t: @pledbrook

Re: API document generation

Posted by Jochen Theodorou <bl...@gmx.org>.

On 01.02.2016 16:13, Sean Gilligan wrote:

>> I'm also wondering whether others think groovydoc is just fine as it is,
>
> It's not fine. In my opinion it's one of the biggest frustrations with Groovy. Especially the fact that you can't use it for both Java (7+) and Groovy.
>
> And Asciidoclet support would be awesome!

we can write a doctool, that can process Groovy and java... maybe even
other languages. And such a tool could then have asciidoc support of
course. I could even imagine supporting existing doclets to some extend....

But hooking into javadoc to make it know a new language is painful.
Because it means to hook into the javac compiler, produce an ast the
compiler understands and then not having proper support for extension
methods and properties or any other thing  that goes beyond what java
offers. And on top of that... you are handling internal classes, which
may change in any version of java... and with jdk9 modules they might
not even be normally available anymore. For basically the same reasons I
gave up on a javac based joint compiler for Groovy.

bye Jochen

Re: API document generation

Posted by Sean Gilligan <se...@msgilligan.com>.

Re: API document generation

Posted by Andres Almiray <aa...@gmail.com>.
Well, Groovydoc is a parallel API inspired by Javadoc, so retrofitting
would entail grabbing the real Javadoc tooling API and adding extension
points that can handle Groovy syntax such as understanding properties,
closures and other stuff (such as default values in method parameters IIRC).

Java Champion; Groovy Enthusiast
http://jroller.com/aalmiray
http://www.linkedin.com/in/aalmiray
those who don't.