Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by JohnRodey <ti...@yahoo.com> on 2011/06/21 18:26:22 UTC

Propogating an accurate exceptions to the end user

Solr3.1 using SolrJ

So I have a gui that allows folks to search my solr repository and I want to
show appropriate errors when something bad happens, but my problem is that
the Solr exception are not very pretty and sometimes are not very
descriptive.

For instance if I enter a bad query the message on the exception is "Error
executing query" and if I do getCause().getMessage() it gives "Bad Request
Bad Request  request: http://1.2.3.4:1234/solr/...."
This really doesn't help my user too much.

Another example is if a master search server serves out a request to a bunch
of shards I just get a Connection Refused error that doesn't specify which
connection was refused.

I can't image I am the first to run into this and was curious what others
do?  Do people just try to catch all common exceptions and print those
pretty?  What about exceptions that you don't test for?  How about
exceptions that don't really explain the real problem?

Thanks!