Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de> on 2005/10/07 22:26:23 UTC

Re: svn commit: r307094 - /xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/src/documentation/content/xdocs/compliance.ihtml

jeremias@apache.org wrote:
> Supporting wrap-option="no-wrap" on fo:inline will take some
 > additional work in FOP Trunk. It works fine in 0.20.5.

That's no surprise given that in the maintenance branch fo:inline
doesn't create an area and is basically the same as fo:wrapper.

I still wonder: creating no line breaks at all should be
significantly easier than creating breaks...

J.Pietschmann

Re: svn commit: r307094 - /xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/src/documentation/content/xdocs/compliance.ihtml

Posted by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.
On Oct 8, 2005, at 10:24, Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> I think it's not that simple in the Knuth approach because you cannot
> just switch off the breaking as a paragraph is always broken as a whole
> ("total fit" in Knuth's terms). The easiest would be to simply generate
> a zero-width box for the no-wrap inline followed by a hard break. This
> would work fine for the text-align="start" case but probably not for
> the
> other cases. The problem: as soon as the breaker gets a line that is
> wider than the available IPD it breaks the element to the next
> part/line
> which is not necessarily expected here.

Nope. Then again, it depends on other props as well: "clip" and
"overflow", and there again, we seem to be hitting one of those dreaded
twilight-zones in the Rec. "wrap-option" is applicable to fo:inline,
but "clip" and "overflow" are applicable to "block-level or replaced
elements" --and if that isn't enough: they're *not* inherited.

> OTOH, how does a no-wrap look like in case of a text-align="justify"?

Very interesting question...

> Hmm. At any rate, the first step would probably be to create elements
> inside the no-wrap inline so that it behaves like a
> keep-together.within-line="always". Stuff to think
> about....as if we lack that. :-)

:-)

Cheers,

Andreas

Re: svn commit: r307094 - /xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/src/documentation/content/xdocs/compliance.ihtml

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
I think it's not that simple in the Knuth approach because you cannot
just switch off the breaking as a paragraph is always broken as a whole
("total fit" in Knuth's terms). The easiest would be to simply generate
a zero-width box for the no-wrap inline followed by a hard break. This
would work fine for the text-align="start" case but probably not for the
other cases. The problem: as soon as the breaker gets a line that is
wider than the available IPD it breaks the element to the next part/line
which is not necessarily expected here. OTOH, how does a no-wrap look
like in case of a text-align="justify"? Hmm. At any rate, the first step

On 07.10.2005 22:26:23 J.Pietschmann wrote:
> jeremias@apache.org wrote:
> > Supporting wrap-option="no-wrap" on fo:inline will take some
>  > additional work in FOP Trunk. It works fine in 0.20.5.
>
> That's no surprise given that in the maintenance branch fo:inline
> doesn't create an area and is basically the same as fo:wrapper.
>
> I still wonder: creating no line breaks at all should be
> significantly easier than creating breaks...
>
> J.Pietschmann

Jeremias Maerki