Posted to dev@pivot.apache.org by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/12 00:45:46 UTC

Vertical Slider & Meter

Noel, thanks for taking care of these - it looks great.  One thing that I
was wondering, though, is whether we should invert the direction of the
progession when the components are vertical.  In other words, should Meter
"fill up" as its percentage grows, and should Slider "count up" as the
handle is raised?

-T

Re: Vertical Slider & Meter

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 2:45 PM, Noel Grandin <no...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah, I wondered about that. I typically have text running bottom-to-top
> when it's vertical, but I've seem UI's do it both ways.
>
> Meter should probably "fill up", that seems more natural (like a liquid
> filling a container), but I've seen Sliders work both ways, although the
> "count up" approach is more popular.

These are very common widgets for pure HMI (Human-Machine-Interface)
in the process control industry. Many (most?) implementations allow
both ends to be set, and allow those end points to either be higher or
lower than the other, and that determines the directions.

Added bonus points; Some "liquid"-style meters also allows a "zero"
(auto placed in its linear position between the ends) and the 'liquid'
grows from the zero to the current value.

HTH
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er
I  work here; http://tinyurl.com/2ymelc
I relax here; http://tinyurl.com/2cgsug

Re: Vertical Slider & Meter

Posted by Noel Grandin <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Yeah, I wondered about that. I typically have text running bottom-to-top
when it's vertical, but I've seem UI's do it both ways.

Meter should probably "fill up", that seems more natural (like a liquid
filling a container), but I've seen Sliders work both ways, although the
"count up" approach is more popular.

-- Noel.