Posted to asp@perl.apache.org by Ellers <el...@iinet.net.au> on 2002/03/22 09:27:11 UTC

RE: OT: (slightly) RAD RDBMS tools for perl/Apache::ASP -> FormBuilder

At 11:27 PM -0800 21/3/02, Jim Helm wrote:
>Looks like CGI::FormBuilder/Template::Toolkit combined with
>DBIx::Recordset is probably my best bet.

Getting more off topic now, but thought I'd mention about FormBuilder...

I find CGI::FormBuilder really useful and have come to prefer it to
use CGI methods or HTML code directly.

To use it effectively in Apache::ASP several settings are useful:

	javascript => 0,
	header => 0,

Although the javascript one can sometimes be useful, I found it made
life more difficult than it was worth.

Also, with multistage forms (e.g. purchaser details on page 1,
product details page 2, card details page 3 etc) I came up with a few
tricks which I can post if anyone is interested.

Most of the time I used FormBuilder's inbuilt $form->render() method
because it was easier than doing a template; it dawned on me that it
would make sense to add another template method for FormBuilder,
something like:

	$form->render( ASPInclude => 'inc_user_details.asp' )

or whatever, and instead of HTML::Template variables,
CGI::FormBuilder could just supply a hashref to the include file
allowing stuff like:

[inc_user_details.asp]

etc

This isn't existing functionality in FormBuilder, but if anyone else
thinks its a worthy idea it could be recommended to the author.

Ellers

Posted by Nathan Wiger <na...@wiger.org>.
Sure, the more templating engines the better! :-)

The only caveat here is that I definitely don't have the time to implement this,
and besides, I don't know ASP. Andy Wardley sent me a big patch to enable
Template Toolkit support, so if somebody wants to take a whack at this and send
me a corresponding patch, I will gladly add it. Look near the bottom of
render(), where there are some if/elsif/else statements looking for the type of
template specified. This shouldn't be too hard to slot in there.

-Nate

Posted by Jim Helm <jj...@att.net>.