Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch> on 2003/01/15 15:37:37 UTC

Ready for 0.20.5 from my side

I've finally finished the documentation for the embedding examples. Most
of the directories have moved to their new locations in the branch. The
last two exceptions are the conf directory and the remains of the docs
directory. The documentation is updated for the new locations but I
haven't yet copied all documentation changes over to the branch. I hope
that Christian will do that shortly before the release.

In the last few days, there have been a few new issues. I don't know if
that should delay the 0.20.5. I for my part would like to switch back to
the redesign.

I'll continue to do the directory moves in the redesign and I'm still
hoping for a volunteer to do the server side move/copy of the src/org
directory to src/java/org.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Ready for 0.20.5 from my side

Posted by Christian Geisert <ch...@isu-gmbh.de>.
Oleg Tkachenko wrote:
> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>
>> I'll continue to do the directory moves in the redesign and I'm still
>> hoping for a volunteer to do the server side move/copy of the src/org
>> directory to src/java/org.
>
> It's easy, but we'll loose ability to build old revisions then (didn't
> we yet?). If it's not an issue, all we have to do is to move the

I think it's an issue and therefore I'm favouring local moving
(which will lose history and revision numbers, see
http://www.loria.fr/~molli/cvs/doc/cvs_7.html#SEC64 )

But is it worth the effort?

Christian

Re: Ready for 0.20.5 from my side

Posted by "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au>.
Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> Can't we do it in a way that the history gets copied? That way, people
> downloading an old revision will have both src/org and src/java/org
> locally, so it uses a bit more storage capacity but still build. Is that
> doable?
>
> On 15.01.2003 19:41:51 Oleg Tkachenko wrote:
>
>>Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>>

>>>I'll continue to do the directory moves in the redesign and I'm still
>>>hoping for a volunteer to do the server side move/copy of the src/org
>>>directory to src/java/org.
>>
>>It's easy, but we'll loose ability to build old revisions then (didn't we
>>yet?). If it's not an issue, all we have to do is to move the directory within
>>  the repository and massage CVSROOT/history, that's it, isn't it? Well, I'm
>>going to try on local cvs first with xml-fop module.

I already have three trees - HEAD, maint and alt.  The main thing is
that particular distributions be reproduced.  Make sure the complete
tree is tagged just before the move.  Then, when things are moved, you
take the trouble to add a "Moved from ... tag TAG" comment to the cvs
add phase, the trail can always be followed back from the cvs log.  I
don't know whether the same can be said of cvs remove.  I've never tried it.

Peter

--
Peter B. West  pbwest@powerup.com.au  http://www.powerup.com.au/~pbwest/
"Lord, to whom shall we go?"

Re: Ready for 0.20.5 from my side

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.

Posted by Victor Mote <vi...@outfitr.com>.
Oleg Tkachenko wrote:

> It's easy, but we'll loose ability to build old revisions then (didn't we
> yet?). If it's not an issue, all we have to do is to move the
> directory within
>   the repository and massage CVSROOT/history, that's it, isn't
> it? Well, I'm
> going to try on local cvs first with xml-fop module.

If something needs to be done to CVSROOT/history, then you are way ahead of
me.

Victor Mote

Re: Ready for 0.20.5 from my side

Posted by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>.
Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> I'll continue to do the directory moves in the redesign and I'm still
> hoping for a volunteer to do the server side move/copy of the src/org
> directory to src/java/org.
It's easy, but we'll loose ability to build old revisions then (didn't we
yet?). If it's not an issue, all we have to do is to move the directory within
  the repository and massage CVSROOT/history, that's it, isn't it? Well, I'm
going to try on local cvs first with xml-fop module.

--
Oleg Tkachenko
eXperanto team
Multiconn Technologies, Israel

Re: Ready for 0.20.5 from my side

Posted by "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au>.
Victor Mote wrote:
> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>

>>I'll continue to do the directory moves in the redesign and I'm still
>>hoping for a volunteer to do the server side move/copy of the src/org
>>directory to src/java/org.
>

> I'll be glad to help with the server side move/copy. AFAIK, a simple Unix
> mv/cp should do the trick on the server side. My preference is to use cp &
> then move the old stuff to the attic after the dust settles (that will cost
> us only about 21 MB of disk space). The real issue is that /everyone's/
> sandbox is messed up by this, so it is worthwhile to coordinate this so that
> everyone can get changes checked in (or moved aside), blow away their
> sandbox, & get a clean sandbox after the surgery. Also, it would be good to
> know that we could get our repository restored if something went wrong -- do
> we know how to do that?

Victor, Oleg,

My distinct preference would be to do this in the boring, staid old
fuddy-duddy way (that's the kind of guy I am.)   Go through the motions
of local move, cvs remove, cvs add and cvs ci.  This is the way with the
least complications.

If the issue is 100Mb of disc space, then the system desperately needs
another 50Gb or so of disc.  We can all donate $5 and give it to the ASF.

Peter

Posted by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>.
Victor Mote wrote:

>>Isn't it just copying xml-fop directory back?
>

> I don't understand. Copying it back from where? Do you mean:
> 1. We should make our own backup copy on the server before doing the
> surgery? If so, that makes sense. Space is tight on that x1 filesystem, but
> it looks like that directory is only about 97 MB & its probably very
> compressible.
Yes, that's what I've meant.

Posted by Victor Mote <vi...@outfitr.com>.
Oleg Tkachenko wrote:

>   Also, it would be good to
> > know that we could get our repository restored if something
> went wrong -- do
> > we know how to do that?
> Isn't it just copying xml-fop directory back?

I don't understand. Copying it back from where? Do you mean:
1. We should make our own backup copy on the server before doing the
surgery? If so, that makes sense. Space is tight on that x1 filesystem, but
it looks like that directory is only about 97 MB & its probably very
compressible.
2. Copying back from a sandbox? All history would be lost.

Victor Mote

Re: Ready for 0.20.5 from my side

Posted by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>.
Victor Mote wrote:

> us only about 21 MB of disk space). The real issue is that /everyone's/
> sandbox is messed up by this, so it is worthwhile to coordinate this so that
> everyone can get changes checked in (or moved aside), blow away their
> sandbox, & get a clean sandbox after the surgery.
+1 probably prior we have to make sure that everybody agrees with it.

Posted by Victor Mote <vi...@outfitr.com>.