Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com> on 2007/12/21 17:20:38 UTC

[Fwd: Re: LICENSE and NOTICE files and SVN]

Resending to legal-discuss instead of directly to Roland.

Maybe its me but I don't intemperate what Roy said at all that way. It
seems to me that you left out the most important part of what he was
getting at - the vote. PMCs don't vote on binaries, they vote on source
code for releases. Whether the binaries are generated before the vote or
after isn't all that relevant - except for the part where doing due
diligence means you actually try to verify the integrity of the
release.  So what tool is used to tag and package or exactly what
process it may follow isn't so important compared to knowing that what
the PMC voted for is actually the source code that was packaged.  Sure,
most users think the release is the binary download, but that is really
just a convenience to them. They have to be able to get the source code
and be able to build it themselves.

Ralph