Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org> on 2002/06/25 23:04:02 UTC

RE: Fresh Outlook: (was RE: [desperate plea] RE: The need for 'hints')

> re-reading some of the recent emails - I think I get it now - the
> difference is between blocks and components:
>
>   - a block is a component with metadata.
>
>   - when lookup(roleName) is called:
>
>     - if the client comes with no metadata specifying the meaning of the
>     roleName, then the component/block returned is the one specified by
>     the assembler.
>
>     - if the client has metadata that specifies the meaning of the
>     roleName then the container compares this with the metadata for the
>     blocks and returns one that matches.  [aside: I assume that the
>     assembler can overide this]
>
> is this correct?

that's what the Leos seem to agree on...haven't heard from the peter's
yet though =)

recent discussion is still loads of theory. Once code is in place and
working, we'll be voting, I guess...

of course, regardless of any cool roles 'n contracts we dream up, an
assembler that has access to ant and source code can override just about
anything.

grz,

- Leo, lost half a nail on a CPU cooler today

Re: Fresh Outlook: (was RE: [desperate plea] RE: The need for 'hints')

Posted by Peter Royal <pr...@apache.org>.
On Tuesday 25 June 2002 05:04 pm, Leo Simons wrote:
> > re-reading some of the recent emails - I think I get it now - the
> > difference is between blocks and components:
> >
> >   - a block is a component with metadata.
> >
> >   - when lookup(roleName) is called:
> >
> >     - if the client comes with no metadata specifying the meaning of the
> >     roleName, then the component/block returned is the one specified by
> >     the assembler.
> >
> >     - if the client has metadata that specifies the meaning of the
> >     roleName then the container compares this with the metadata for the
> >     blocks and returns one that matches.  [aside: I assume that the
> >     assembler can overide this]
> >
> > is this correct?
>
> that's what the Leos seem to agree on...haven't heard from the peter's
> yet though =)

Pretty much. The information specified by the assembler could also be
construed as metadata :)

> recent discussion is still loads of theory. Once code is in place and
> working, we'll be voting, I guess...

Yes. *always* easier to deal with working code.

> - Leo, lost half a nail on a CPU cooler today

damn. must have hurt.
-pete

--
peter royal -> proyal@apache.org