Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> on 2006/03/05 20:19:58 UTC

[resources][all] Resources status

Can we establish the status of [resources].

Rahul Akolkar wrote:
 >  * [resources] Since now it isn't part of Struts 1.3.0, seems thats a
 > setback to interest in releasing.

IFAIK:
- its unreleased
- there is little development effort (although something happened in
November)
- there could be a overlap with [configuration]
- its raison d'etre seems to have disappeared

Does a [resources] developer want to speak up in its favour?
Or should we fast track it to dormant?

Stephen

Re: [resources][all] Resources status

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.
On 3/6/06, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Whatever happens, Latka needs the same to happen for it. It's been
> released, but only a 1.0-alpha1 N years ago. Not sure that even
> counts.

+1. Latka is definitely dormant.

Chuck Norris sleeps with a night light. Not because Chuck Norris is afraid
of the dark, but because the dark is afraid of Chuck Norris

Re: [resources][all] Resources status

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 3/6/06, Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 3/5/06, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Phil's suggestion for FeedParser was:
> >
> > "We need to make a decision on which way to go here...either demote
> > back to sandbox/dormant or have someone step up to drive this
> > component toward a release."
> >
> > I don't see anything that argued with the demoting, though I can only
> > find the thread suggesting the change.
>

> Sorry, I didn't follow the FeedParser discussions too closely. What are the
> criteria, then, for deciding between a Proper component going back to the
> sandbox and going straight to dormant? I'm assuming that, should BeanUtils,
> for example, remain inactive, you wouldn't argue for that to go back to the
> sandbox.

Yeah - beanutils couldn't go back. Latka, resources, feedparser have
all not had a solid release - though in Latka's case I'm being a bit
aggressive on a -1.0-alpha1 release. No release => demotion to Sandbox
can occur.

Dealing with the released stuff is the thing that started the
inactive/mature/stable discussions.

JLC pretty much demands that the Sandbox move outside of the J*C
groupings - so I imagine moving from Sandbox to J*C will be a bigger
deal in the future.

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

--
Martin Cooper

I'm also unsure why we'd be happy to move FeedParser and Resources

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
I am also a [resources] developer and while I wish there were more interest
in supporting it, I just don't see that happening any time soon.  Also, I
agree with Niall that the API needs a bit of clean up.

At one point, the existing MessageResources (Struts) were to be deprecated
in favor of commons-resources.  I remember seeing it on it on the roadmap
and having a few discussions around it, but I can't find the link for it
right now....which says more about my involvement than I like to admit ;)

So, +1 for fast track.

I suppose if we need it bad enough for a future release, we can always pull
it back out and try again.

--
James Mitchell
Consulting / Mentoring

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 3/5/06, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/5/06, Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> > Can we establish the status of [resources].

<snip/>

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On 3/5/06, Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> Can we establish the status of [resources].
>
> Rahul Akolkar wrote:
>  >  * [resources] Since now it isn't part of Struts 1.3.0, seems thats a
>  > setback to interest in releasing.
>
> IFAIK:
> - its unreleased
> - there is little development effort (although something happened in
> November)
> - there could be a overlap with [configuration]
> - its raison d'etre seems to have disappeared

It is unreleased. Struts 1.3.x had a dependency on it and I got
involved in Nov to do a release, as it was holding up Struts 1.3.
However, when I started looking into the code I ended up wanting to
change quite a bit of the API (which I never got round to). Struts got
fed up and removed the dependency.

Except for the bit of work I did, I believe the last work done was
back in around June 2005 - so if you discount my failed attempt to
push it out of the door - then IMO it is/was pretty dormant.

I believe it still has a good reason to exist - its code was factored
out of Struts with the intention of whats in Struts being deprecated
and replaced by resources. That is still true today and e.g. localized
JDBC resources comes up every now and again on the struts user list.
Also other projects, such as Shale, could possibly use it.

Having said that IMO it should be more tightly focused with some of
whats currently in there being removed and further API changes made.
I'm very unlikely to do that as I'm starting to think that adopting
orphans is probably a waste of time.