Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Raphael Bircher <rb...@apache.org> on 2019/11/08 01:14:00 UTC

Hi I'm Raphael

Hi all

Some people may know me from other Projects like the incubator. I came to Apache with the OpenOffice Community. I can programming, but my real ability is QA. One of my speciality is to track down hard reproducable bugs.

I'm interested in search engines since long time. I experimented years ago with YaCy (wich was based on Lucene and Solr). But this project was not really stable.

I'm here at the moment in my sparetime. I simply need a bit a challenge in the QA. But I don't know, how much time I can invest here.

Wich source tree I should build for testing purpose? I heard rumors, that installing Lucene is a bit rocket science.

Anyway, I will seeā€¦ I will try it on a Ubuntu Subsystem on Windows 10.

Regards, Raphael

PS. I'm from Switzerland and I'm President of a NGO called Vefko.

Re: Hi I'm Raphael

Posted by Jason Gerlowski <ge...@gmail.com>.
Hi Raphael,

Welcome and thanks for taking an interest in helping out!  Shawn's
pointers above are all good for getting started.  If there's any other
information you need, let us know.

You know best what you want to get involved with.  But if you're
interested in QA and are interested in the Solr side of things, you
might be interested in a test-failure aggregator that Hoss, a member
of the community here, has set up:
http://fucit.org/solr-jenkins-reports/failure-report.html.  Some tests
fail regularly but others have low failure rates and are challenging
to reproduce.  We always need help with tests and appreciate help
tracking down issues.

Looking forward to working with you as you get ramped up.

Best,

Jason

Re: Hi I'm Raphael

Posted by Raphael Bircher <rb...@apache.org>.

On 2019/11/08 05:42:01, Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org> wrote:
> On 11/7/2019 6:14 PM, Raphael Bircher wrote:
> > Wich source tree I should build for testing purpose? I heard rumors, that installing Lucene is a bit rocket science.
>
> I'm here for Solr, and my interest in Lucene is only incidental, because
> Solr derives most of its functionality from Lucene.
>
> Almost all development work here begins in the master branch, and is
> backported to other branches as required.  We release from the stable
> branch, which is currently branch_8x.  At some point, likely next year,
> we will create branch_9x and master will be renumbered to major version 10.
>
> Lucene is not really geared for "installation" ... it is a development
> library.  It is used by developers to write their own software, and it
> will be up to that developer to work out how their software is
> installed.  Lucene is a development dependency, much like this one:
>
> https://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/j/

Thanks a load for your information. I expected something like this. So for testing it would be good, to have access to some external project wich are based on solr/lucene. So if someone want to invite me, you can write me an E-mail. The best way ist to write au Raphael (at) Vefko (dot) ch

Regards, Raphael

Re: Hi I'm Raphael

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.