Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Mark Bitz <ma...@hotmail.com> on 2002/03/25 21:41:55 UTC

FOP vs RenderX

I was wondering if anybody had done any comparisons of FOP vs XEP (RenderX's engine).  Or if anybody knows where I can find any such comparisons.  RenderX took their comparison down off of their web site and I am trying to fend off a potential XEP solution in my company. I would rather use FOP and a comparison may be very helpful.

Mark

Re: FOP vs RenderX

Posted by Mark Bitz <ma...@hotmail.com>.
It sounds as if you are more up-to-date on the keep-with-next status than I
am, you may very well be right. I will check that out and repost.

Mark

Posted by Matt Savino <ma...@synergizethis.com>.

Re: FOP vs RenderX

Posted by Mark Bitz <ma...@hotmail.com>.
Patrick,
I wish that FOP also had the keep-with-next feature working, luckily, I
don't think for this particular application it's going to be as crucial, we
are only doing 1-up product sheets. I have been working with FOP for about a
year, maybe a year and a half, and I am just starting to understand the
basics of FOP (I think!), but only becuase there are so many applications
and so much it can do.  So, I think I am hearing that speed is an issue
HUGE. FOP is much faster. What about functionality?

Mark

Re: FOP vs RenderX

Re: FOP vs RenderX

Posted by Matt Savino <ma...@synergizethis.com>.
Search my threads a few months back. In my case XEP was 10 times slower
than FOP. The RenderX guys looked at and said there was something weird
about my tables. By most accounts RenderX and FOP should be about the
same speed. I told them (RenderX) that if they could figure it out and
XEP proved not to run out of memory the way FOP does we might still be
interested in purchasing a number of licenses. They CEO of the company
called me and tried to help, but I got the impression whey were all too
busy to breathe--selling $5000/CPU licenses for a product that's
inferior to something free.

Arghh.

-Matt