Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com> on 2015/01/16 09:07:09 UTC

[Kerberos] About the naming issue for the Kerberos project

Hi Pierre, Stefan, Lucas and other PMCs/committers,

Thanks for your accepting and supporting for the new Kerberos project. As you can see we’re actively working on it and have some new contributors. We would proceed as soon as possible according to the roadmap and plan discussed with you. Generally we’re towards a dedicated Kerberos implementation, Kerberos is the base or foundation and the center concept, by which we would support other authentication mechanisms as well via the well-defined Kerberos pre-authentication framework, have our nice Directory Server as the default identity backend also leveraging the powerful RBAC features as Pierre implied, and have the great management tool Directory Studio in hand. With such support the new product may not be equally strong in security sense as mature ones like MIT Kerberos do in its early phase, but should be good enough in management, easiness and other aspects particularly in Java contexts. As the naming issue does block us a lot, would you give your options to help resolve it the earlier the better, as Kiran suggested. I’m sure “Apache Kerby” isn’t perfect but we would doubt there is ever such one. It’s not a pet’s name as Kiran clarified, but does like a kid of Kerberos. Sure we could have other even better names in future, but if we do we surely also can change to use it too, just like currently I would give up the “Haox” naming even actually I’m not so happy in my heart. Thanks!

Regards,
Kai

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
Hi Stefan,

Sorry for confusing and late response due to network issue. I'm asking for your help and naming preference options about the new project, just as Kiran requested previously.
Yes you just did when said "Kerby is totally fine for me" and thanks!

Regards,
Kai

On 01/16/2015 09:07 AM, Zheng, Kai wrote:
> As the naming issue does block us a lot, would you give your options to help resolve it the earlier the better

I don't understand what you asking about, but I hope I don't block you.
Kerby is totally fine for me.

Kind Regards,
Stefan

Re: [Kerberos] About the naming issue for the Kerberos project

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.
Hi Kai,