Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Ramkumar R <ra...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/13 15:07:14 UTC

[VOTE] Release Tuscany Java SCA 1.4 (RC2)

The release artifacts for the Tuscany SCA for Java 1.4 release are now
available, please review and vote to release.

The artifacts are available for at:
<http://people.apache.org/%7Eantelder/tuscany/1.3.1-RC1/>
http://people.apache.org/~ramkumar/tuscany/1.4RC2/<http://people.apache.org/%7Eramkumar/tuscany/1.4RC2/>

This includes the signed binary and source distributions, Maven staging
repository, and eclipse update site and RAT report.

The SVN tag for the release is:
<http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tuscany/tags/java/sca/1.3.2-RC2/>
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tuscany/tags/java/sca/1.4RC2/

Here's my +1 to release.

--
Thanks & Regards,
Ramkumar Ramalingam

Re: [VOTE] Release Tuscany Java SCA 1.4 (RC2)

Posted by Ramkumar R <ra...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Simon, my comments inline.

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 2:15 PM, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>wrote:

> Hi Ram
>
> I started taking a look over the weekend. Haven't got through testing
> samples yet but an initial observation on size
>
> binary distro is 103M in 1.4, was 64M in 1.3.2
>
> Tutorial store-test
>   Ships with a jar that has a java core in it.

I believe, this got in accidentally. I will fix this one.

> Should we ship tutorials with target dirs? I think we should remove and
> have people build them.
> The catalog-webapp has a full set of libs and is 8M

The tutorials README does are advise the users to compile them before
running it,
if we are planning to remove the target dirs from the tutorials then the
README need to be updated accordingly.

> demo/bigbank-*
>   now has target dirs where there were no target dirs in 1.3.2
>   interestingly other demos are missing target dirs which were present in
> 1.3.2
>   I don't think we need target dirs in demos

This was done with TUSCANY-2712, probably we need to evaluate whether we
should have them or not.

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 2:00 PM, Ramkumar R <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ant,
>
> I believe the bcel-5.2.jar dependency is coming from XmlSchema-1.4.2.

So it is, but only if you build with an IBM JDK. Its coming from a profile
named "IBMTest" in the XmlSchema pom.xml, i think but aren't sure that you
may only need this when doing xslt with the IBM JDK which i don't think we
are doing.

   ...ant

Re: [VOTE] Release Tuscany Java SCA 1.4 (RC2)

Posted by Ramkumar R <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ant,

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 2:24 AM, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There's a couple more files that shouldn't be in the source distro:
>   modules/implementation-openjpa/test/db.lck

Implementation-openjpa is very experimental and don' t need to be in
the distro at all.

--
Luciano Resende
Apache Tuscany, Apache PhotArk

Re: [VOTE] Release Tuscany Java SCA 1.4 (RC2)

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 8:45 AM, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>>

>> On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 2:07 PM, Ramkumar R <ra...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>>> The release artifacts for the Tuscany SCA for Java 1.4 release are now
>>> available, please review and vote to release.
>>>
>>> The artifacts are available for at:
>>> http://people.apache.org/~ramkumar/tuscany/1.4RC2/
>>>
>>> This includes the signed binary and source distributions, Maven staging
>>> repository, and eclipse update site and RAT report.
>>>
>>> The SVN tag for the release is:
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tuscany/tags/java/sca/1.4RC2/
>>>
>>> Here's my +1 to release.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Thanks & Regards,
>>> Ramkumar Ramalingam
>>
>> Hi Ram
>>
>> I started taking a look over the weekend. Haven't got through testing
>> samples yet but an initial observation on size
>>
>> binary distro is 103M in 1.4, was 64M in 1.3.2
>>
>> Tutorial store-test
>>   Ships with a jar that has a java core in it.
>>
>> Should we ship tutorials with target dirs? I think we should remove and
>> have people build them.
>> The catalog-webapp has a full set of libs and is 8M
>>
>> demo/bigbank-*
>>   now has target dirs where there were no target dirs in 1.3.2
>>   interestingly other demos are missing target dirs which were present in
>> 1.3.2
>>   I don't think we need target dirs in demos
>>
>> Also interestingly lib/jaxb-api-2.1.jar
>>
>>   89K in 1.3.2
>>   104K in 1.4
>>
>>   + License file
>>   + ContextFined$2.class
>>
>> Must have been updated on the maven repos. Doesn't seem to be any impact.
>>
>> Also I think we need to make a few more changes around the contribution
>> xsd. I'll check in another change shortly.
>>
>> I'll also take a look at samples etc.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Simon
>>

> Next couple of thoughts...
>
> We don't need to ship the "etc" dir in the src distro
>
> Bin RAT file needs to be run on a clean checkout as it has picked up a
load
> of DOJO files
>
> Simon

There's a couple more files that shouldn't be in the source distro:
  modules/implementation-openjpa/test/db.lck
  tuscany-sca-1.4-src/deptotal.txt

The dojo files look like they're coming from demos/bigbank, i'll update the
distro builds to exclude these and that should fix the RAT reports.

  ...ant

Re: [VOTE] Release Tuscany Java SCA 1.4 (RC2)

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Ramkumar R <ra...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Simon, Ant and Luciano for the comments, I have now created RC3 with
all the recommended changes.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.