Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by bruce <be...@earthlink.net> on 2006/05/02 14:49:21 UTC

SVN Browser/Management Application...

Hi..

We're considering using SVN as part of a development/workflow application.
We need to allow users to "touch" the app and move it through the
develop/test/production areas. We need to do this with a number of
applications. In order to manage this entire process, we're looking to
create some kind of Web Based app to manage the users, the underlying apps,
as well as to manage the overall process...

Is there anyone on this list who has experience with creating this kind of
system?

Thanks

-Bruce
bedouglas@earthlink.net

Re: svnadmin dump warning

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 5/2/06, Johnathan Gifford <jg...@wernervas.com> wrote:
>  From the below dump output, can anyone explain what kind of 'data' is
> referenced in a previous revision?  Is it user data, Subversion data, etc?

It means that in that example revision 13674 referrs to something in
13669, so  13669 will need to already be in the repository before you
can load 13674.  For exmaple, 13674 might copy a file from 13669, or
something like that.

-garrett

Re: SVN Browser/Management Application...

Posted by Marijn Verkerk <m....@gmail.com>.
Dear All,

There are a few new features and enhancements coming up for the next
version, but due to lack of time (money) there is nothing much more I can
promise for now.

Marijn

Posted by bruce <be...@earthlink.net>.
Here's what we're trying to get our hands around...

we need..

 -Abilty to define new "project folders"
 -ability to handle 100s of individual parojects
 -ability to handle multiple developers
 -ability to manage users, restrict user functions based on ACLs
 -ability to implement workflow process
 -ability to move apps through development,test,production area
 -ability to allow user to "touch" the app in a given
  folder based on user ACL
 -event based notification, notify users based on where
  file/app is in the process
 -web based
 -etc...

thanks

-bruce

Posted by Johnathan Gifford <jg...@wernervas.com>.
No, I have not used Polarion.  I have ran through the demos and and read the
white papers on their site.  Pretty complete application.  Definitely worth
a closer look.  I recommend calling their sales staff.  They are pretty
helpful and can answer the questions your asking with more authority.

Keep in mind, the requirements you're asking for are a mix of a couple
systems.  Take some time divide them up, you'll see a grouping pattern
emerge.  I think with Polarion and some other tools like the SVNManager, you
can get what you want.  Subversion is still to young in the client side of
things to find products that encompass everything.

Johnathan

Posted by Johnathan Gifford <jg...@wernervas.com>.

Posted by Baz <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by bruce <be...@earthlink.net>.
Hi Frank...

Posted by Frank Gruman <fg...@verizon.net>.
bruce wrote:
> Frank,
>
> Thanks for the reply... Have you (or anybody) used this particular tool??
>
> Any thoughts/comments as to it's functionality..
>
> Does it allow one to:
>  - copy/move folders
>  - create tag folders
>  - import folders/files from external folders...
>  - backup repositories
>  - etc...
>
> Thanks...
>
> -Bruce

I use this tool for my repository administration.  It allows me to
create repositories through the web and allow users read and/or write
access to those repositories.  I can also perform manual backups through
this tool (but I typically don't since I have a cron job doing that
automatically).

I think the fine grained permissions you are looking for would have to
be done through svnperms.py and the commit hooks or something along
those lines.  As far as I know, there is no remote administration for
this tool.  BUT - there is still hope - as I said earlier, if you need
this badly enough, have one of your developers work with the SVNManager
crew to integrate svnperms.py (or something like it) into SVNManager.

As far as moving folders, etc., those functions are typically part of
the working copy client in the Subversion world since the actual
repository is more of a reference/storage entity than anything else.

I see you have copied Mr. Verkerk as well, so perhaps he will be able to
shed some light on what he envisions SVNManager to do in the future.

Regards,
Frank

RE: SVN Browser/Management Application...

> We're considering using SVN as part of a development/workflow application.
> We need to allow users to "touch" the app and move it through the
> develop/test/production areas. We need to do this with a number of
> applications. In order to manage this entire process, we're looking to
> create some kind of Web Based app to manage the users, the underlying
apps,
> as well as to manage the overall process...
>
> Is there anyone on this list who has experience with creating this kind of
> system?
>
> Thanks
>
> -Bruce
> bedouglas@earthlink.net

You could look at SVNManager (http://svnmanager.sourceforge.net).  There
is a decent start to a tool there for repository access.  I think the
developer would appreciate input and possibly even some assistance if
you or one of your developers are able to help out with expanding it.

my 2 cents,

Frank

svnadmin dump warning

Posted by Johnathan Gifford <jg...@wernervas.com>.

Re: SVN Browser/Management Application...

Posted by Frank Gruman <fg...@verizon.net>.