Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Jacob Staub <jp...@gmail.com> on 2017/09/27 15:04:09 UTC

Docker Guacamole Latest

Good morning,

I have been working on updating Docker Guacamole from 0.9.9 to 0.9.13. I
have pulled the latest image for guacamole and guacd. But when I deploy
Guacamole from the latest images 0.9.11-incubating comes up rather than
0.9.13-incubating. 0.9.11-incubating, or what is indicated on the login
page as 0.9.11-incubating, functions normally.

Please confirm the Guacamole version of the latest guacamole images. It
will help me determine if I'm causing the problem on my end.

Regards,
Jake

Re: Docker Guacamole Latest

Posted by Norbert Klaus <no...@lavaleriana.net>.
Hi Jacob,

You are probably pulling the image from the old repository (glyptodon).

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

Re: Docker Guacamole Latest

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.

> guacamole/guacamole is something anyone in the Guacamole PPMC controls,
> including myself. You should have access, too, as all committers are
> implicitly PPMC within Guacamole. If not, that's an oversight we should
> correct.
>
> See: https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/b345e6c72629e3bf79c3e1243c6290
> 073c3cf6f3901aa100a649f2a2@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E

Good to know.

> I assume glyptodon/guacamole is yours?
>>

> Not really. "glyptodon/guacamole" is Glyptodon's, and while I'm certainly
> affiliated with Glyptodon, I'm not equal to it. For the health of the
> project, I refuse to wear my Glyptodon hat when doing anything within the
> Guacamole community. Here, I am strictly a committer on the Guacamole
> project and a member of its PPMC.

Makes sense.

> If the question here is whether third-party distribution of Guacamole is
> harmful, my personal view is that it isn't, and that part of the philosophy
> of the Apache Way is to embrace such distribution. It is expected (and
> beneficial) that third parties will package and distribute Guacamole,
> including via Docker images. Quickly checking Docker Hub, I find at least
> 15 pages of search results for Docker images containing Guacamole:
>
> https://hub.docker.com/search/?isAutomated=0&isOfficial=0&
> page=1&pullCount=0&q=guacamole&starCount=0
>
> To me, that's a good sign.

I totally agree.

> If there is a trademark/branding/licensing issue, however, that would be a
> different matter and should definitely be corrected ASAP.

 I think your answers above clear up some of the confusion - I was just
trying to clarify things to understand if the original suggestion - to make
sure only guacamole/guacamole had the newer versions (vs.
glyptodon/guacamole) - made sense.  For the purposes of this discussion
glyptodon/guacamole is a "third party" to the Guacamole Project, so I
definitely see and agree with your point - the Project should not worry
about trying to control/sanitize/dictate/etc. what is posted there.

-Nick

Re: Docker Guacamole Latest

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org>.
On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 7:58 PM, Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> Since 0.9.10-incubating++ appear under guacamole/guacamole it may be
>>> worth stripping the same out of glyptodon/guacamole to funnel those like me
>>> more directly towards the right answer.
>>>

>> The Guacamole project doesn't control whether third parties distribute
>> their own Docker images. As long as licenses and trademarks/brands are not
>> violated, we welcome such distribution. See:
>>
>> Mike
>
> Is guacamole/guacamole not something you control?

guacamole/guacamole is something anyone in the Guacamole PPMC controls,
including myself. You should have access, too, as all committers are
implicitly PPMC within Guacamole. If not, that's an oversight we should
correct.

See:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/b345e6c72629e3bf79c3e1243c6290073c3cf6f3901aa100a649f2a2@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E

I assume glyptodon/guacamole is yours?

Not really. "glyptodon/guacamole" is Glyptodon's, and while I'm certainly
affiliated with Glyptodon, I'm not equal to it. For the health of the
project, I refuse to wear my Glyptodon hat when doing anything within the
Guacamole community. Here, I am strictly a committer on the Guacamole
project and a member of its PPMC.

If the question here is whether third-party distribution of Guacamole is
harmful, my personal view is that it isn't, and that part of the philosophy
of the Apache Way is to embrace such distribution. It is expected (and
beneficial) that third parties will package and distribute Guacamole,
including via Docker images. Quickly checking Docker Hub, I find at least
15 pages of search results for Docker images containing Guacamole:

https://hub.docker.com/search/?isAutomated=0&isOfficial=0&page=1&pullCount=0&q=guacamole&starCount=0

To me, that's a good sign.

If there is a trademark/branding/licensing issue, however, that would be a
different matter and should definitely be corrected ASAP.

- Mike

Re: Docker Guacamole Latest

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.

>> Since 0.9.10-incubating++ appear under guacamole/guacamole it may be
>> worth stripping the same out of glyptodon/guacamole to funnel those like me
>> more directly towards the right answer.
>>

> The Guacamole project doesn't control whether third parties distribute
> their own Docker images. As long as licenses and trademarks/brands are not
> violated, we welcome such distribution. See:
>
> Mike

Is guacamole/guacamole not something you control?  I assume

Re: Docker Guacamole Latest

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org>.
On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 5:39 PM, Jacob Staub <jp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your patience and assistance. The instruction to inspect the
> guacamole containers was the steer I needed.

Great!

> Since 0.9.10-incubating++ appear under guacamole/guacamole it may be worth
> stripping the same out of glyptodon/guacamole to funnel those like me more
> directly towards the right answer.

The Guacamole project doesn't control whether third parties distribute
their own Docker images. As long as licenses and trademarks/brands are not
violated, we welcome such distribution. See:

http://community.apache.org/projectIndependence.html

- Mike

Re: Docker Guacamole Latest

Posted by Jacob Staub <jp...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for your patience and assistance. The instruction to inspect the
guacamole containers was the steer I needed.

The problem was traced to an incorrect image identification in the
docker-compose file used for the deployment.

Incorrect ID: glyptodon/guacamole
Corrected ID: guacamole/guacamole

Re: Docker Guacamole Latest

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org>.
This same issue has been encountered before [1] for an earlier version, but
there was no problem with the Guacamole images in that case, and rechecking
now things are still correct. The "latest" tag does point to the same image
as "0.9.13-incubating", which does contain 0.9.13-incubating:

[mjumper@dev-mjumper ~]$ sudo docker images guacamole/guacamole
REPOSITORY                      TAG                 IMAGE ID
 CREATED             SIZE
docker.io/guacamole/guacamole   0.9.13-incubating   b602d8daff1b        11
weeks ago        659.7 MB
docker.io/guacamole/guacamole   latest              b602d8daff1b        11
weeks ago        659.7 MB
docker.io/guacamole/guacamole   0.9.12-incubating   9af030afb8c8        6
months ago        651.2 MB
docker.io/guacamole/guacamole   0.9.11-incubating   b08c4f8e69f5        8
months ago        650.4 MB
[mjumper@dev-mjumper ~]$ sudo docker images guacamole/guacd
REPOSITORY                  TAG                 IMAGE ID            CREATED
            SIZE
docker.io/guacamole/guacd   0.9.13-incubating   ac5de9daf9f3        11
weeks ago        499.2 MB
docker.io/guacamole/guacd   latest              ac5de9daf9f3        11
weeks ago        499.2 MB
docker.io/guacamole/guacd   0.9.12-incubating   8e1536c54985        6
months ago        404.9 MB
docker.io/guacamole/guacd   0.9.11-incubating   940310c23921        8

Re: Docker Guacamole Latest

Posted by Jacob Staub <jp...@gmail.com>.

Re: Docker Guacamole Latest

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org>.
On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 8:34 AM, Jacob Staub <jp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Images are were pulled via the Docker Pull Command listed on each
> corresponding page. Example for guacamole:
>
> docker pull guacamole/guacamole
>
> Using the above command pulls Tag = latest. I would expect "latest" to
> include 0.9.13-incubating but the suggestion is that "latest" does not
> include 0.9.13-incubating.

Please post the output of:

Re: Docker Guacamole Latest

Posted by Jacob Staub <jp...@gmail.com>.