Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Dunkle, Ed" <Ed...@ameriserve.com> on 2000/05/10 18:26:04 UTC

JSDK 2.1 development --> JSDK 2.2 in Tomcat

Is it critical to compile code against the same JSDK version that is in
Tomcat?

I am developing in an environment that uses JSDK 2.1 but then deploy to
Tomcat 3.1 which includes JSDK 2.2.  My JSPs don't work under Tomcat
although they work fine in development.

I guess the other difference is that I am presently using JSP .9 spec in
developemnt.  That won't fly in Tomcat, right?  I have to use JSP 1.1 spec?

Using WebSphere in development there is nice support for JSP syntax checking
and debugging.  How do you track down JSP problems under Tomcat?

I see the work directory has jsp java and class files, but the one I'm
having trouble with as a zero length so I don't know where to find the
syntax error.

Also, I don't see where System.out or System.err messages go.  Maybe that's
because I have Tomcat running as a service so there is no console window...

Thanks,
Ed

Re: JSDK 2.1 development --> JSDK 2.2 in Tomcat

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
"Dunkle, Ed" wrote:

> Is it critical to compile code against the same JSDK version that is in
> Tomcat?
>
> I am developing in an environment that uses JSDK 2.1 but then deploy to
> Tomcat 3.1 which includes JSDK 2.2.  My JSPs don't work under Tomcat
> although they work fine in development.

The differences in the servlet API between 2.1 and 2.2 were almost all
additions, so it's pretty much upward compatible.

> I guess the other difference is that I am presently using JSP .9 spec in
> developemnt.  That won't fly in Tomcat, right?  I have to use JSP 1.1 spec?

That's right -- the tag syntax under JSP 1.0/1.1 is very much different from the
syntax of JSP 0.91 or 0.92.  These pages are not going to be compatible at all.

> Ed

Craig McClanahan