Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Jeff Wishnie <je...@deluxebiz.com> on 2002/08/13 20:07:45 UTC

Telling Axis NOT to respond to GETs??

Is there a way in the server-config to tell the AxisServlet NOT to respond to basic GETs?

For a variety of reasons, including security, I don't want Axis presenting back a list of services when the Servlet is accessed via a web-browser. I also don't want to see the "Hi there, this is an AXIS service!" page if a service is accessed directly from the browser.

For example, say I have Axis installed on example.org/axis, if a user enters: http://example.org/axis into the browser, I'd like to reply with a 404.

Is there a simple way to configure this?

In a worse-case scenario, I can write a servlet-chain that receives Axis-bound requests, responds to the GETs, and forwards the POSTs, but it would be nice to do this cleanly via Axis...

- Jeff

Re: Telling Axis NOT to respond to GETs??

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
Have a look at AxisServlet; there is some way to turn off listings from a
web.xml setting.

You can also change the text of any page by editing entries in the NLS
properties file.

More paranoia would help; ideally I'd like an insecure switch which when set
would enable the helpful stuff, but otherwise the system was tightened up.
We could even disable WSDL generation off production systems, so callers
would have to know about the service already