Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Konstantinos Katsiapis <ka...@google.com> on 2018/03/01 01:59:14 UTC

Re: Beam 2.4.0

Hi Jean-Baptiste,

I can speak from the perspective of tf.transform
<https://github.com/tensorflow/transform> (TFT) in particular and TFX
<https://research.google.com/pubs/pub46484.html> libs in general, in case
it is useful.

TFX distributed computation has 2 "large" dependencies, namely TensorFlow
and Apache Beam, each on their own release schedule.
As such, releasing of new TFX functionality often (but not always) depends
on (and is blocked by) releases of *both* TensorFlow *and* Apache Beam.

Synchronizing releases across such large projects and organizations is
likely hard, so from our perspective having *frequent* releases of
Tensorflow or Apache Beam (and better yet both) decreases the time for
which we are blocked on releasing our features.

In light of this, I would vote for more frequent releases in general, and
for a Beam 2.4 release soon in particular (as TFT 0.6 depends on it).

Thanks,
Gus

--
Gus Katsiapis | Software Engineer | katsiapis@google.com | 650-918-7487

Re: Beam 2.4.0

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Done, thanks.

Romain Manni-Bucau

Re: Beam 2.4.0

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Fully agree.

Re: Beam 2.4.0

Posted by Reuven Lax <re...@google.com>.

Re: Beam 2.4.0

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Re: Beam 2.4.0

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi guys,

Re: Beam 2.4.0

Posted by Robert Bradshaw <ro...@google.com>.

Re: Beam 2.4.0

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Ismaël,

that's a good idea to show history.

For me, the vote duration doesn't matter as we are in the release process already.

The gap between two releases is more significant. And clearly with an average of

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Beam 2.4.0

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <kl...@google.com>.
The features/bugfixes included in a release are determined by the time
between cutting release branches. So I'd focus on that cadence (outside of
special requests).

Kenn

Re: Beam 2.4.0

Posted by Robert Bradshaw <ro...@google.com>.