Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Rivka Shisman <ri...@nite.org.il> on 2006/01/02 06:54:10 UTC

RE: closing the browser after streaming a pdf file

Hi Tamas and thanks for trying,

What I want to do is to create a pdf report in memory and stream it from
my Action to Acrobat.

The problem is that first I.E. opens and then Acrobat is opened. But now
I have an empty I.E window that I want to close (don't want the user to
do it each time).

Thanks
Rivka

Posted by Deepesh Nandal <de...@eth.net>.
Hi,
   You could make the pdf file as downloadable instead of trying to open the
pdf inside web browser ,Following code will make the pdf download

Document document = new Document();

   PdfWriter writer = PdfWriter.getInstance(document, baos);

    document.open();
    document.add(new Phrase("Some dummy text goes here",font));
   document.close();

   // setting some response headers
   response.setHeader("Expires", "0");
   response.setHeader("Cache-Control", "must-revalidate, post-check=0,
pre-check=0");
   response.setHeader("Pragma", "public");
   // setting the content type
   response.addHeader("Content-disposition",
"attachment;filename=\"GCQuotes.pdf\"");
   // the contentlength is needed for MSIE!!!
   response.setContentLength(baos.size());
   // write ByteArrayOutputStream to the ServletOutputStream
   ServletOutputStream outs = response.getOutputStream();
   outs.write(baos.toByteArray()) ;
   outs.flush() ;
   outs.close() ;

The above examples uses a third party PDF wrtier API 'itext'

> I want to save the original jsp page - that's why I use target="_new".
> When I remove the ' target="_new" ' I still get an empty jsp page - so
> still it does not solve my original problem!

I don't know what do you wnat to do exactly.
But you probably get that empty browser because the Acrobat Reader
plugin is
set up so that it opens in a new window instead of opening in a browser.
You can change this option in the Preferences of Acrobat Reader.
Does this solve your problem?

The only problem is that if it's an Internet application(usable by
anyone)
you can't control how the users will configure their Acrobat Reader
plugins.

Thanks
> Rivka

Tamas

RE: closing the browser after streaming a pdf file

Posted by Harish Pathak <mr...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

  Anybody please tell me how to use Dyna Action Form ?

  Thanks |

  Harish Pathak

Rivka Shisman <ri...@nite.org.il> wrote:
  Hi Tamas and thanks for trying,

What I want to do is to create a pdf report in memory and stream it from
my Action to Acrobat.

The problem is that first I.E. opens and then Acrobat is opened. But now
I have an empty I.E window that I want to close (don't want the user to
do it each time).

Thanks
Rivka

> I want to save the original jsp page - that's why I use target="_new".
> When I remove the ' target="_new" ' I still get an empty jsp page - so
> still it does not solve my original problem!

I don't know what do you wnat to do exactly.
But you probably get that empty browser because the Acrobat Reader
plugin is
set up so that it opens in a new window instead of opening in a browser.
You can change this option in the Preferences of Acrobat Reader.
Does this solve your problem?

The only problem is that if it's an Internet application(usable by
anyone)
you can't control how the users will configure their Acrobat Reader
plugins.

Thanks
> Rivka

Tamas