Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Michael <mt...@optonline.net> on 2009/01/25 23:43:33 UTC

Problems With Axis2

I am developing several Java Web Services (Bottom-Up) using Eclipse Ganymede, Apache Tomcat v5.5 and Apache Axis.

When I first started working on the web services I was using the older version of Axis.  Creating the web services from the Java classes I developed was not a problem.  I used the wizards provided by Eclipse and WSDL was created fine, the service appeared to have been published and synchronized to Tomcat properly and I was able to create a client app to test the web services by creating the client Java code from the generated WSDL.  However, when I attempted to access the web services from the client test app I would get the following error:

org.apache.axis.Internal <init>
SEVERE: Exception:
java.lang.Exception: The OperationDesc for IPublishEvent was not synchronized to a method of edu.monmouth.rri.ahett.pubwebservice.PublisherWebService.

After much research I could not find a resolution to this problem that met my needs (there were examples of the client code not using the correct arguments in a web service method call and others but none appeared to apply to the problem I was having).

Next I attempted to switch from using Axis v1.x to Axis2.  I read all of the installation available on the Apache Axis2 web site as well as some other information I found on the web.  The first problem I encountered was the proper place to put the axis2.war file since I wanted to continue using Axis2 with my installed Tomcat servlet container.  I installed Tomcat from Eclipse and it appears that there are several separate folders that contain Tomcat installation files:

C:\Program Files\common
C:\Program Files\conf
C:\Program Files\server
C:\Program Files\webapps

The instructions for installing Axis2 say to put the axis2.war file in the webapps Tomcat folder.  However my installation from Eclipse appears to have two webapps folders C:\Program Files\server\webapps and
C:\Program Files\webapps.  I tried placing axis2.war in each separately, starting Tomcat and following the instructions in the installation documentation to verify that Axis2 was installed correctly, that is I tried to launch http://localhost:8080/axis2 but received a message from Tomcat that the resource was not available.

Next I set all my Eclipse settings to use Axis2 and regenerated my web services.  This caused an axis2-web folder to be created in the Web Content folder of my Eclipse project.  This did not look like the place where this folder belonged so I moved it to the Tomcat installation folder C:\Program Files\server\webapps.  Once again when I tried to verify a correct installation of Axis2 as per the documentation I got the same message as earlier from Tomcat.

Could someone please explain the proper way to configure and use Axis2 with Tomcat and Eclipse for web service development?

Also it appears that Axis2 now requires two steps to complete web service development and deployment where Axis v1.x only needed one, that is generating the web service with Axis2 publishes the web service to Tomcat but does not create a WSDL file.  I have seen that a WSDL2Java and Java2WSDL Axis2 plug-in is available and will do this.  Is this required?

And is the Axis2 Archiver plug-in also required?  If so, how is it used in the Axis2 web service development process?

Sorry this is lengthy, but I need to get these problems resolved to get my project back on track.

Thanks,
Mike Tarullo

Re: Problems With Axis2

Posted by Michael <mt...@optonline.net>.
Thanks Markus.  I saw these today at work.  I'm going to try this approach
out tonight.

Posted by "Grimm, Markus" <Gr...@juris.de>.
Hi Mike,

Some other good tutorials:

Bottom up:
==========

=========
http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/community/tutorials/TopDownAxis2WebService/td_tutorial.html

Hope, this helps.

Thanks,
Markus

> I'm afraid I'm a novice but the following tutorial is a simple guide to
> setting up/using AXIS2 with eclipse, it worked for me...
>
> http://www.builderau.com.au/program/java/soa/Setting-up-a-simple-Web-service-using-Java/0,339024620,339284524,00.htm
>
> Best Regards,
> Tori

6:13 PM

Re: Problems With Axis2

Posted by Michael <mt...@optonline.net>.
Thank you Tori.  I'll check it out.

Mike
> I'm afraid I'm a novice but the following tutorial is a simple guide to
> setting up/using AXIS2 with eclipse, it worked for me...
>
> http://www.builderau.com.au/program/java/soa/Setting-up-a-simple-Web-service-using-Java/0,339024620,339284524,00.htm
>
> Best Regards,
> Tori

6:13 PM

Re: Problems With Axis2

Posted by Jack Sprat <re...@yahoo.com>.
After creating the dynamic web project, click the "Modify" button in the Configuration section.  This will open the Project Facets window and allow you to select/deselect each project facet.

Posted by Michael <mt...@optonline.net>.
[...]

  Disclaimer and confidentiality note

RE: Problems With Axis2

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
from what I read you have to configure a facet extension point as in

<extension point="org.eclipse.wst.common.project.facet.core.facets">
   <project-facet id="formgen.core">
      <label>FormGen Core</label>
      <description>
       Enables generation of HTML forms based on XML definition files.
     </description>
  </project-facet>
  <project-facet-version facet="formgen.core" version="1.0"/>
  <project-facet id="formgen.ext">
    <label>FormGen Extensions</label>
    <description>
      Enables additional FormGen widgets.
    </description>
  </project-facet>
  <project-facet-version facet="formgen.ext" version="1.0"/>
</extension>http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-BuildingProjectFacets/tutorial.html#creating.basic.facets

Martin Gainty
Disclaimer and confidentiality note

> Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 19:25:24 -0500
> From: mtarullo463@optonline.net
> Subject: Re: Problems With Axis2
> To: axis-user@ws.apache.org
>
> Tori,
>
> I have been following the instructions given in the like you supplied below.
> These are some of the problems that I am encountering:
>
> 1) When taking inventory of the WTP pieces I have installed I do not find
> 'the non-SDK package of the Web Tools Platform refered to a "Web App
> Developers"'
>
> 2) I continued on and my configuration matches the configuration in the link
> except I am using Tomcat v5.5
>
> 3) When I create a new "Dynamic Web Project" I do not get "Project Facets"
> and therefore no "Axis2 Web Services" checkbox.
>
> Did you encounter any of these problems?  If so how did you fix them?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Hotmail® goes where you go. On a PC, on the Web, on your phone.
http://www.windowslive-hotmail.com/learnmore/versatility.aspx#mobile?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_WL_HM_versatility_121208

Re: Problems With Axis2

Posted by Toriacht <sh...@gmail.com>.
I have been following the instructions given in the like you supplied below.
These are some of the problems that I am encountering:

1) When taking inventory of the WTP pieces I have installed I do not find
'the non-SDK package of the Web Tools Platform refered to a "Web App
Developers"'

I Can't remember exactly, but in available software, I selected WebTools
Paltform 3.0.3, and under this i found Web Developer Tools and Web Developer
Tools SDK, I also installed Axis Tools and AXIS Tools SDK
I did have some problems with it, but retried a few times. I'm sorry I can't
be more secific but I more or less followed that tutorial word for word

2) I continued on and my configuration matches the configuration in the link
except I am using Tomcat v5.5

I'm using Tomcat 6. I had problems starting it form eclipse but resolved
that by adjusting PermGen space

3) When I create a new "Dynamic Web Project" I do not get "Project Facets"
and therefore no "Axis2 Web Services" checkbox.
They weren't available for me wither thru the wizard. but if you select
Project~>Properties after you have created the project you'll see it there

Did you encounter any of these problems?  If so how did you fix them?
Hope this helps,
Tori

Thanks,
Mike

> I'm afraid I'm a novice but the following tutorial is a simple guide to
> setting up/using AXIS2 with eclipse, it worked for me...
>
> http://www.builderau.com.au/program/java/soa/Setting-up-a-simple-Web-service-using-Java/0,339024620,339284524,00.htm
>
> Best Regards,
> Tori

6:13 PM

Re: Problems With Axis2

> I'm afraid I'm a novice but the following tutorial is a simple guide to
> setting up/using AXIS2 with eclipse, it worked for me...
>
> http://www.builderau.com.au/program/java/soa/Setting-up-a-simple-Web-service-using-Java/0,339024620,339284524,00.htm
>
> Best Regards,
> Tori

6:13 PM