Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Darryl Pogue <da...@dpogue.ca> on 2018/09/14 17:26:29 UTC

[iOS] State of Xcode 10 support

A few issues have started to come in regarding the state of Cordova
projects on Xcode 10. This is a rough summary of the situation:

Xcode 10 uses a new build system by default (previously available on
an opt-in basis in Xcode 9). The cordova-ios project structure is not
compatible with this new build system and results in failures.
Officially, we do not claim to support Xcode 10.

Currently the best workaround is to opt-out of the new build system.
Users can do this by specifying
`--buildFlag="-UseModernBuildSystem=0"` on the command line, or adding
the following to build.json under the ios key:

    "buildFlag": [
      "-UseModernBuildSystem=0"
    ]

I would like to investigate what is required to get a cordova-ios
project building with the new build system, and (if the changes are
reasonable) try to get a fix into the next major for
cordova-ios@5.0.0. Going to try to get a coworker to help me poke at
this over the next week or so.

Once that's done, we can evaluate the possibility of backporting to a
4.x release, but I consider that low priority given that Xcode 9 will
still be usable for another year and there's a relatively easy
workaround to use the old build system.

Re: [iOS] State of Xcode 10 support

Posted by Chris Brody <ch...@gmail.com>.
I am still on Xcode 9. I would be very happy to test the results of
baking this flag in with Xcode 9.

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.