Posted to users@maven.apache.org by rmatthews <rm...@nakedobjects.org> on 2008/02/14 11:29:06 UTC

Archetypes

Hi

On my laptop I successfully copied the command for creating an archetype
from the bottom of
http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-creating-archetypes.html, eg

mvn archetype:create \
  -DgroupId=org.group \
  -DartifactId=my-archetype \
  -DarchetypeArtifactId=maven-archetype-archetype

Today, I tried the same thing on my desktop but I get prompted for various
details, and there is no archetype-archetype available.

It appears to be using a different plug-in, and one that has very poor
documentation.

How can I ensure that I use the right plug-in even though the names are the
same.

Thanks
Robert Matthews

Re: Archetypes

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <st...@jayway.net>.
On 14/02/2008, rmatthews <rm...@nakedobjects.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On my laptop I successfully copied the command for creating an archetype
> from the bottom of
> http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-creating-archetypes.html, eg
>
> mvn archetype:create \
>   -DgroupId=org.group \
>   -DartifactId=my-archetype \
>   -DarchetypeArtifactId=maven-archetype-archetype
>
> Today, I tried the same thing on my desktop but I get prompted for various
> details, and there is no archetype-archetype available.
>
> It appears to be using a different plug-in, and one that has very poor
> documentation.
>
> How can I ensure that I use the right plug-in even though the names are
> the
> same.

you can use:

  mvn org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:1.0-alpha-7:create
...etc...

to force Maven to use the old version (unfortunately only the verbose form
can set the version)

see the developer list for the full discussion of what happened wrt. the new
archetype plugin:

http://www.nabble.com/New-archetype-plugin-issues-questions....-td15435079s177.html

and a fix is in progress to avoid the prompt always popping up.

Thanks
> Robert Matthews

Cheers, Stuart