Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by ICM S CP guest 5 <IC...@icn.siemens.de> on 2001/10/15 13:01:09 UTC

Opensource Development - Coding guidelines

Hi,

after stepping thru some jetspeed sources I found it very confusing, reading and understanding the code.

I programmed the same way a year ago.
But then I started to use coding guidelines.

Coding guidelines can specify how the definition of a variable, object, parameter, function, ... looks like.

e.g. every Integer variable starts with an i:  int iValue;
or Parameters using an p like: function callMe (int piAge, String pstName)
and so on...

Some advantages:
- Code is better readable
- Faster identification of a variable/object/parameter
- Code is upgradeable
- Faster programming - it's easier to find names because the names are more specific (iAge, stAge, ...)

Andreas

Re: Opensource Development - Coding guidelines

Posted by Raphaƫl Luta <ra...@networks.groupvu.com>.
[please don't crosspost to user and dev lists, choose only the most appropriate
  for any discussion topic]

ICM S CP guest 5 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> after stepping thru some jetspeed sources I found it very confusing, reading and understanding the code.
>
> I programmed the same way a year ago.
> But then I started to use coding guidelines.
>
> Coding guidelines can specify how the definition of a variable, object, parameter, function, ... looks like.
>
> e.g. every Integer variable starts with an i:  int iValue;
> or Parameters using an p like: function callMe (int piAge, String pstName)
> and so on...
>
> Some advantages:
> - Code is better readable
> - Faster identification of a variable/object/parameter
> - Code is upgradeable
> - Faster programming - it's easier to find names because the names are more specific (iAge, stAge, ...)

Completely agreed on the use of coding guidelines, the main difficulties I
see are selecting guidelines that will be actually agreed upon and followed
by *all* the developpers (not too difficult I would think) and reformat all
the non-conforming code to this convention.

I'd welcome any completely formulated xdocs code guidelines proposal to
serve as discussion basis :)

Vivendi Universal Networks - Paris

RE: Opensource Development - Coding guidelines

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
> e.g. every Integer variable starts with an i:  int iValue;
> or Parameters using an p like: function callMe (int piAge,
> String pstName)
> and so on...

hungarian notation in java?
-1