Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by David Adcox <co...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/05 19:31:20 UTC

Re: [SDO Java DISCUSS] Contents of the next SDO release

Kelvin,

I'm going to take a run at Tuscany-1143.  I've started looking into
this issue and hope to have something by middle to end of next week.
Let me know if this will work for your timetable.

Thanks,
David

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@gmail.com>.
Another summary --
A first release candidate was posted last Tuesday.  Apart from naming issues
for the maven artifacts for the SDO API here are no show stoppers in the
comments to that release.  I  plan to address  all of ant's points in the
next release candidate.

There's an open issue we need to resolve with ant about the SDO poms' stax
dependency declaration.

As to JIRAs, since that date some new requests have been posted the the
following are resolved in the release ..
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-1110
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-1436
but we don't have fixes for those yet.  I don't have these in my plan at the
moment.

Comments on changes to the state of issues already known about at the time
of the last summary are inlined below

> Unresolved JIRAs with a 1.0 fix version
> ============================
>
> here's the jet of JIRAs.....
>
> TUSCANY-1408    Cannot programmatically define a SDO property matching
> to XSD element

resolved

TUSCANY-1317    Provide a way to set default XML load options to be
> used during Java deserialization

resolved

TUSCANY-1385    Duplicate namespace was serialized when SDO QName
> property value containing existing namespace

resolved

TUSCANY-1358    Exception in thread "main"
> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Cannot generate XSD since SDO Type

'item' was orginally generated from XSD. Use original XSD

resolved

TUSCANY-1350    Reorganise SDO build / distribution layout

part of release work, completed i think but holding open until sure

TUSCANY-257     recently added file Interface2JavaGenerator.java is
> not compatible with JDK 1.4

not addressed -- i may not get to this,  not a blocker

TUSCANY-1122    TypeConversionTestCase fails for JDK 1.4.2

resolved

TUSCANY-1143    Generated code should separate metadata creation from
> registration to permit proper scoping

in progress

<snip/>

> TUSCANY-1293    SDO does not work with OSGi
> Bryan Hunt "For the short term, you might consider removing the
> ability to build Eclipse plug-ins (OSGi bundles) from your pom. "
> Not in plan for 1.0
>
> TUSCANY-1359    New SDOUtil: Upper and lower bound on properties where
> 'isMany' is true
> I'll apply it if a patch file with the fix and a test appear in time
>
> TUSCANY-1391    Provide capability to load and save XML with unknown
> features
> I haven't found time to review the available patch and I can't see me
> getting to it, so not currently in my plan

activity on patch -- but open questions are pending on the jira

TUSCANY-1128    Support attribute and element with same name
> It's not clear whether we are good to go here,  it's not currently in
> my 1.0 plan to integrate it
>
> TUSCANY-477     SDO runtime should report unresolved types in a meaningful
> way if xsd:import/include cannot be resolved
> Not in my plan
>
> Other things pulled from this thread not covered above
> =======================================
> TUSCANY-303     Single package override in tuscany-sca-plugin and
> tuscany-sdo-plugin insufficient
> I'll include a fix if it comes along soon -- from my point of view,
> nice to have but not essential
>
> Steffen's - typesafe collections in the xsd2java generator
> No JIRA raised -- could be new feature in a future release

<snip/>

Regards, Kelvin.

Posted by Fuhwei Lwo <fu...@bricemedia.com>.
Hi Kelvin,

I am working with Amita on T-1317 and T-1391 for SDO R1.0. I think both are very close and should be done by the end of next week (7/13).

I am also working on T-1408. According to comments from Frank B., I am planning to change creating a SDO property programmatically by creating an XSD element instead of attribute. I will update the patch file when I am ready next week.

T-1385 is complete for XMLHelper except save function for XMLStreamHelper. I will try looking into it next week too.

Fuhwei

kelvin goodson <ke...@thegoodsons.org.uk> wrote: I was aiming at a release candidate by early to mid of next week. It's
a bit later than planned.  I've been hit by a hardware failure, and
have been head down on fixing up the samples.  I've just been doing a
catch-up collation of the info relating to release contents.

I feel sure that there will be at least one candidate respin required,
 given the significant changes in build structure, so if I get there
before you David, as TUSCANY-1143 is an important fix,  we can absorb
this fix into a second candidate.  We'll have to double fix it, as I
will cut a branch/tag at the time I make the first candidate.

I have reviewed 3 sources of material -- JIRAs already labelled for
the next release; JIRA activity since my last summary on June 11th and
other issues mentioned in this thread, not already covered.

Comments please   .....

[...]

and here's my comments on them  ....
1408 Patch avalable - hope to get to it v soon
1317 Amita/Fuhwei -- lots of activity - What's the outlook?
1385 Patch available,  but comment suggests not quite ready -- is it
ready to apply?
1350 significantly progressed,  may require more changes as part of
release management
257,1122  -- Java 1.4.2 tolerance -- I hope to get to these
1143, See response in this thread earlier today from David Adcox

Updated jiras since 11/6/2007 (excluding jiras covered above)

[...]

general things I talked about for the release (build structure,
samples, website, generator testing)
- build structure is mostly done
- samples are significantly changed,  i have more to do but will round off soon
- website can be done while release candidates are being reviewed
- generator testing is a nice to have that I don't think I'll get the
time to address

TUSCANY-1127 and 1288 are resolved

Making a merged sdo-all jar.  I think the issues raised by Fuhwei,  in
particular the requirement to merge the contents of similarly named
files in the EMF artifacts make this a non-starter for this release.

Regards, Kelvin.

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@gmail.com>.
Another summary --

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@thegoodsons.org.uk>.