Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "HAVENS,PETER (HP-Cupertino,ex3)" <pe...@hp.com> on 2002/08/13 02:45:04 UTC

tomcat 4 and localization ???

I am looking on information on how to provide localized content via Tomcat.
I did a search and the only information I have found from the following
archive of the Jakarta tomcat 3.2.3 pages

http://www.ingrid.org/jajakarta/tomcat/tomcat-3.2.3/doc/tomcat-localization-
howto.html
<http://www.ingrid.org/jajakarta/tomcat/tomcat-3.2.3/doc/tomcat-localization
-howto.html>

Does Tomcat 4 support localized content?  Is it still as is documented in
the above how to?

The example it gives is for providing a localized "index.html" file for a
web app called "myapp".  It specifies that you can either provide the file
in a form like index_<locale>.html or put it in a directory structure like
/myapp/<locale>/index.html.

Does anyone know if this is supported?  I tried a couple of samples that did
not seem to work, but perhaps I am not setting the locale correctly.

Thanks in advance,

-Peter

---------------------------Here is the example from the above
link------------------------------------------

*         File based organization for localized resource lookup

This type of organization of localized content attempts to find the
localized version of the resource queried based on the basename of the
resource, using the lookup conventions specified in
java.lang.ResourceBundle.
*	For example, assume the following scenario:
*	User's Locale: fr_CA
*	Webserver's Locale: es_AR
*	docbase: /myapp
*	User's URL query: /myapp/index.html
This scheme will try to look up for the resource in the following priority
order:
*	/myapp/index_fr_CA.html
*	/myapp/index_fr.html
*	/myapp/index_es_AR.html
*	/myapp/index_es.html
*	/myapp/index.html

*	Docbase based organization for localized resource lookup
This type of organization of the localized resources attempts to find the
localized version of the resource queried based on the existence of a
localized document hierarchy under the 'docbase' directory. The organization
of the documents is similar to the one that JavaHelp uses.
For example, assume the following scenario:
*	User's Locale: fr_CA
*	Webserver's Locale: es_AR
*	docbase: /myapp
*	User's URL query: /myapp/index.html
This scheme will try to look up for the resource in the following priority
order:
*	/myapp/fr_CA/index.html
*	/myapp/fr/index.html
*	/myapp/es_AR/index.html