Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Akins, Brian" <Br...@turner.com> on 2009/08/12 20:11:30 UTC

Balancer-manager, nonce, and xml

I found something in proxy and was wondering if it was intentional:

In proxy_balancer, we check the "nonce" param and clear the params if
incorrect or missing, however, then you can't view it in xml unless you
include the nonce, because the xml param is no longer available.

I was trying to get one of our monitoring tools to read the xml when I
noticed it.

I also am working on a simple thing to mark balancer members
enable/disabled, but have to first scrap the HTML to get the value of nonce.
This is rather a pain as well.

Basically, I gave up on having a "real" HTTP health check mechanism within
apache and was going to use the balancer manager stuff to enable/disable
origins.

--
Brian Akins
Chief Operations Engineer

Re: Balancer-manager, nonce, and xml

Posted by Ruediger Pluem <rp...@apache.org>.

On 08/12/2009 08:11 PM, Akins, Brian wrote:
> I found something in proxy and was wondering if it was intentional:
>
> In proxy_balancer, we check the "nonce" param and clear the params if
> incorrect or missing, however, then you can't view it in xml unless you
> include the nonce, because the xml param is no longer available.
>
> I was trying to get one of our monitoring tools to read the xml when I
> noticed it.
>
> I also am working on a simple thing to mark balancer members
> enable/disabled, but have to first scrap the HTML to get the value of nonce.
> This is rather a pain as well.
>
> Basically, I gave up on having a "real" HTTP health check mechanism within
> apache and was going to use the balancer manager stuff to enable/disable
> origins.

The xml output did not receive the love recently it might have needed as it wasn't
seen as being used. I remember vaguely that there are other issues with the xml output
as well. Propose a patch to fix this and lets see where this ends :-).

Regards

RĂ¼diger