Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Guenter Knauf <fu...@apache.org> on 2013/04/30 01:21:07 UTC

apache_pb*.* - again

Hi Daniel,
I think you did the last revisions of these pics, so I address this
directly to you ...
it just came to my attention that the apache_pb*.gif look not so fine as
the apache_pb*.png ones:
https://www.apachehaus.net/apache_pb/
it looks to me that probably there's some font anti aliasing missing; is
it possible that you missed that when you created the gifs?

Gün.

Re: apache_pb*.* - again

Posted by Daniel Gruno <ru...@cord.dk>.
On 05/04/2013 02:42 PM, Rainer Jung wrote:
> On 30.04.2013 01:21, Guenter Knauf wrote:
>> Hi Daniel,
>> I think you did the last revisions of these pics, so I address this
>> directly to you ...
>> it just came to my attention that the apache_pb*.gif look not so fine as
>> the apache_pb*.png ones:
>> https://www.apachehaus.net/apache_pb/
>> it looks to me that probably there's some font anti aliasing missing; is
>> it possible that you missed that when you created the gifs?
>
> Don't know how they were produced, but GIFs can only contain 255
> different colors. If you open the gif and check the palette, you can
> see, that it is already full and most of the colors are needed for the
> feather. I guess the png was first created and then the gif from the png
> and there was not good way for a better palette.
>
> I'm not Daniel though ;)
>
> Regards,
>
> Rainer

Well, the GIF was made off the SVG, but what you said was essentially
right :) No more colors left = stuff starts looking ugly. The program I
originally used did not have advanced palette options, so there wasn't
much I could do to make it appear smoother back then.

I've borrowed a different program for creating the GIF images now, and I
think the result is looking much better. I hope y'all agree.

With regards,
Daniel.

Re: apache_pb*.* - again

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.