Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by brijesh m <br...@yahoo.com> on 2008/07/09 13:30:43 UTC

Fixed Asset Depreciation Report ?

Hi friends,
can someone please suggest how this  "Fixed Asset Depreciation Report" is coming. I have tried it on Demo server as:

On demo server i.e.:

https://demo.hotwaxmedia.com/accounting/control/main

go to
Fixed Assets -> in find opt for DEMO_PROD_EQUIPMT_1 -> then traverse to its depreciation sub tab to access its "Fixed Asset Depreciation Report". How this report is generated as I won't be able to track any calculating method apart from the Salvage Value for this fixed asset which is 50 but still can't comply with this  Fixed Asset Depreciation Report values.

thanks
Brijesh M.

Re: Fixed Asset Depreciation Report ?

Posted by Sumit Pandit <su...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Jul 9, 2008, at 8:37 PM, brijesh m wrote:

> Hi Santosh,
> thanks for your concern. I have tried the way you have suggested but
> the things are not crystal clear to me. I am sure you have noticed
> that if you remove all the "meter readings" from the maintenance for
> the corresponding fixed asset it gives the following error:
>     The Following Errors Occurred:
>         ERROR: Could not complete the Service to calculate the
> yearly depreciation from dateAcquired year to current financial year
> [file:/demo/deployments/demo.hotwaxmedia.com/applications/accounting/
> script/org/ofbiz/accounting/fixedasset/
> FixedAssetServices.xml#calculateFixedAssetDepreciation] process
> [problem invoking the [straightLineDepreciation] service with the
> map named [serviceInMap] containing
> [[fixedAssetId=DEMO_PROD_EQUIPMT_1, expEndOfLifeYear=2012,
> assetAcquiredYear=2008, purchaseCost=1000.0, salvageValue=50.0,
> usageYears=0, userLogin=[GenericEntity:UserLogin][createdStamp,
> 2008-07-09 03:09:02.524(java.sql.Timestamp)][createdTxStamp,
> 2008-07-09 03:09:02.336(java.sql.Timestamp)][currentPassword,
> 47ca69ebb4bdc9ae0adec130880165d2cc05db1a(java.lang.String)]
> [disabledDateTime,null()][enabled,Y(java.lang.String)]
> [hasLoggedOut,N(java.lang.String)][isSystem,null()]
> [lastCurrencyUom,null()][lastLocale,null()][lastTimeZone,null()]
> [lastUpdatedStamp,2008-07-09
> 08:00:32.316(java.sql.Timestamp)][lastUpdatedTxStamp,2008-07-09
> 08:00:32.316(java.sql.Timestamp)][partyId,admin(java.lang.String)]
> [passwordHint,null()][requirePasswordChange,null()]
> [successiveFailedLogins,0(java.lang.Long)][userLdapDn,null()]
> [userLoginId,admin(java.lang.String)], locale=en_US]]: The following
> required parameter is missing: [OUT]
> [straightLineDepreciation.assetDepreciationTillDate]The following
> required parameter is missing: [OUT]
> [straightLineDepreciation.assetNBVAfterDepreciation]].
>
> Traversing to -> applications/accounting/script/org/ofbiz/accounting/
> fixedasset/FixedAssetServices.xml#calculateFixedAssetDepreciation
>
> here some things are not clear:
> 1. whats the method used for depreciation calculation, appears
>    to me that they have used "Straight-line depreciation" but
>    then whats the use of maintenance and meter readings as
>    inputs to calculate the depreciation as it only requires
>    salvage value, purchase cost and usage years as inputs.
>    refer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depreciation#Declining-
>    Balance_Method

You are correct, we don't need to use of maintenance and meter
readings. for this method.

> 2. why in this above error  usageYears=0 as I have mentioned
>    asset acquired date  and expected and actual end date for
>    the asset ?

Here the usageYears = currentYear - assetAcquiredYear.
And here assetAcquiredYear = currentYear  = 2008.

> 3. Also in \applications\accounting\script\org\ofbiz
>    \accounting\fixedasset\FixedAssetServices.xml I can see that
>    "doubleDecliningBalanceDepreciation" is also mentioned, so
>     is it also used as a depreciation method ?

There are several methods of allocating depreciation over the useful
life  of  the  assets.  Those  most  commonly  employed  in
industrial  and commercial enterprises are the straightline method and
the reducing balance method.  The  management  of  a  business
selects  the  most  appropriate method(s) based on various important
factors e.g.,
(i) type of asset,
(ii) the nature  of  the  use  of  such  asset  and
(iii)  circumstances  prevailing  in  the business.

for doubleDecliningBalanceDepreciation you can find the example asset
in the demo data.
A combination of more than one method is sometimes used. You can find
more examples at :-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depreciation

Currently we have implemented the two commonly used methods and we
will implement more in future. Which uses the meter reading (case of
truck whose life is 1000000 Miles, so in this case the depreciation
will calculate based on current meter reading.)

Posted by brijesh m <br...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Santosh,
[...]
 08:00:32.316(java.sql.Timestamp)][lastUpdatedTxStamp,2008-07-09 08:00:32.316(java.sql.Timestamp)][partyId,admin(java.lang.String)][passwordHint,null()][requirePasswordChange,null()][successiveFailedLogins,0(java.lang.Long)][userLdapDn,null()][userLoginId,admin(java.lang.String)], locale=en_US]]: The following required parameter is missing: [OUT] [straightLineDepreciation.assetDepreciationTillDate]The following required parameter is missing: [OUT] [straightLineDepreciation.assetNBVAfterDepreciation]].

Traversing to -> applications/accounting/script/org/ofbiz/accounting/fixedasset/FixedAssetServices.xml#calculateFixedAssetDepreciation

Posted by santoh malviya <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hello Brijesh,

Posted by brijesh m <br...@yahoo.com>.
thanks Sumit for such a nice explanation, still exploring things.

Thanks
Brijesh M.

Sumit Pandit <su...@hotwaxmedia.com> wrote: Hello Brijesh,

The entity  FixedAssetDepMethod is used to assign the particular
depreciation method to the asset. The code is like :-

fixedAssetId="DEMO_PROD_EQUIPMT_1"/>

Where the depreciation custom method(depreciationCustomMethodId) is
defined in the :-

customMethodTypeId="DEPRECIATION_FORMULA"
customMethodName="straightLineDepreciation" description="Straight Line
depreciatiion algorithm for fixed asset((purchaseCost - salvageCost)/
expectedLifeInYears)"/>

And we defined a service(customMethodName) to calculate the
depreciation the name is : -straightLineDepreciation (Formula :
depreciation = (purchaseCost - salvageValue) / (expectedEndOfLife -
dateAcquired)). There can be some other methods to calculate the
depreciation.

Hence in last the whole calculation is done in this service and
depreciation is returned on yearly basis. And the result is rendered
on the next page. So this is the way the "Fixed Asset Depreciation
Report"  comes.

Sumit Pandit
HotWax Media

Posted by Sumit Pandit <su...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Hello Brijesh,

The entity  FixedAssetDepMethod is used to assign the particular
depreciation method to the asset. The code is like :-
<FixedAssetDepMethod depreciationCustomMethodId="STR_LINE_DEP_FORMULA"
fixedAssetId="DEMO_PROD_EQUIPMT_1"/>

Where the depreciation custom method(depreciationCustomMethodId) is
defined in the :-

<CustomMethod customMethodId="STR_LINE_DEP_FORMULA"