Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Xing Li <xi...@mac.com> on 2005/06/29 10:12:27 UTC

newbie question on Mac OS X

1) Downloaded 1.4.3 src

2) ran ant... everything builds

3) $ cd builds

4) $ java -jar lucene-1.5-rc1-dev.jar
Failed to load Main-Class manifest attribute from
lucene-1.5-rc1-dev.jar

I haven't build anything java for almost 5 years so not sure what it
means. Did a good search online on the error and it just confused me
even further.

Any help would be appreciated.

Xing

Re: newbie question on Mac OS X

Posted by "Peter A. Friend" <oc...@corp.earthlink.net>.
On Jun 29, 2005, at 1:12 AM, Xing Li wrote:

> 1) Downloaded 1.4.3 src
>
> 2) ran ant... everything builds
>
> 3) $ cd builds
>
> 4) $ java -jar lucene-1.5-rc1-dev.jar
> Failed to load Main-Class manifest attribute from
> lucene-1.5-rc1-dev.jar
>
> I haven't build anything java for almost 5 years so not sure what
> it means. Did a good search online on the error and it just
> confused me even further.

Make sure you run "ant dist" so that everything gets built. There are
demo source files that do basic things like index and search files.
Add the lucene-demos jar to your classpath, (or specify on your
command line) then run:

java org.apache.lucene.demo.IndexFiles   <directory containing your
files to index>

I'd recommend the "Lucene In Action" book, I found it very helpful
for getting started.

Peter

Re: newbie question on Mac OS X

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org>.
Which main class would you expect to run ?????
I don't think there's one.
Lucene is a library.

paul

PS: this has nothing MacOSX specific