Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jonas Eckerman <jo...@frukt.org> on 2003/10/01 09:45:13 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Apache very slow on Windows 2000

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 13:31:23 +0100, Harry Sufehmi wrote:

>�I'm starting to suspect that this is a problem with the Windows
>�TCP/IP stack though.

Win2K should be able to output data at high speed using TCP. It could be some settings of course, but it's easy to check this. Just use some other protocol that runs ontop of TCP (FTP for exampe, but not SMB) and see what speed you get.

If everything is slow, check the actual network. Check the cables (a bad cable on a 100Mbps connection can make things *very* slow), check that you're really using 100Mbps, etc.

Also check that the machine is up to the task (meaning it's not running out of physical memory, that the files are not stored with compression on in a machine with a slow CPU, etc, etc).

>�Can anyone confirm this suspicion,

If you suspect that the sending lots of data with TCP on Win2K allways goes slowly, then you won't get it confirmed as that's simply not the case.

If you suspect that there's a problem with the TCP/IP stack in you machine particular, then only you can confirm it.

If you suspect that there's some other problem with Windows TCP/P stack, I'll confirm that. :-)

> or better yet, share the�solution?

The solution depends on the problem. Start with some general troubleshooting and see if you can find the problem. Finding out wether the problem is only there for Apache or if it's there for all data transfers is a good start.

Regards
/Jonas

--
Jonas Eckerman, jonas_lists@frukt.org
http://www.fsdb.org/

Re: [users@httpd] Apache very slow on Windows 2000

Posted by Jeff White <jl...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Harry Sufehmi"

> I even reinstalled this workstation,
> and still no change.

Windows has many wonderful built-in actions
to accomplish what you seem to want to do but
you have not explained it clear enough and with
enough "facts", file types, file sizes, headers,
network settings,netmon dumps, browser settings,
and etc. in order for others to really help you.

Try showing the results of some VBScript
Windows Scripting scripts that provide lots
of the above settings information while
running Apache on Windows.

Examples:

Now one can find the various "settings" of Windows
OS "actions" for use with Apache on Windows web
server with programs written with the free compilers
via the built-in .NET Frameworks

<quote>

You can download the entire .Net SDK
for free from the Microsoft web site,
here is the download URL:

.NET Framework SDK Version 1.1
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9B3A2CA6-3647-4070-9F41-A333C6B9181D&displaylang=en

</quote>

or with scripts via the built-in Windows Script
Host (WSH).

With either product, .NET Frameworks or
Windows Script Host, use the language of
your desire (.NET Frameworks has over
45+ computer languages available).

Since not all (yet) Apache on Windows
web server admins have the free .NET
Frameworks CSharp compiler and since
all Apache on Windows web server users
have VBScript built-in, and VBScript is so
easy to use and follow along with, lots of
people always use VBScript for examples
(and everyday usage).

But one may also use Perl, JScript, Ruby
and others such scripting languages with the
Windows Script Host too.

Anyway all the users of Apache on Windows
web servers already have available to them
two built-in scripting languages, VBScript and
JScript, accessible via the built-in Windows
Script Host(s) of Cscript.exe for CUI command
prompt window type usage and Wscript.exe for
GUI Windows MsgBox dialog type usage or even
a combination of Cscript.exe CUI also displaying
GUI dialogs.

Example:

Save the below VBScript language script file as
ShowVer.vbs into any folder.

'* Start of file.

strWorker = "Running Windows Script Host " _
  & Wscript.Version & vbCrLf _
  & "using " & GetScriptEngineInfo()

Wscript.Echo strWorker

Wscript.Quit

Function GetScriptEngineInfo()
   Dim s
    '* Build the version string.
   s = ""
   s = s & ScriptEngine() & " Version "
   s = s & ScriptEngineMajorVersion() & "."
   s = s & ScriptEngineMinorVersion() & "."
   s = s & ScriptEngineBuildVersion()
   GetScriptEngineInfo = s
End Function

'* End of file.

After saving the above file ShowVer.vbs into
any folder, then in a command prompt window
changed to the same folder that ShowVer.vbs
was saved into, then for CUI usage type:

cscript.exe ShowVer.vbs

Then in a command prompt window for
GUI usage type:

wscript.exe ShowVer.vbs

If your Windows Scripting files are up to
date ShowVer.vbs returns:

Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.6
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1996-2001. All rights reserved.

Running Windows Script Host 5.6
using VBScript Version 5.6.8515

in the command prompt CUI cscript.exe window
and in the GUI Wscript.exe MsgBox dialog type
window.

<quote>

For upgrades and/or to install on older OS versions.

Windows Script Host 5.6 download
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=C717D943-7E4B-4622-86EB-95A22B832CAA&displaylang=en

And for CHM Compiled HTML Help File
Windows Script Host 5.6 documentation download
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=01592C48-207D-4BE1-8A76-1C4099D7BBB9&displaylang=en

</quote>

Now that you see the main difference between
the two Windows Script hosts, Cscript.exe and
Wscript.exe, let's move on to listing examples
of your needs in Windows Scripting using VBScript.

Networking
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/network/default.asp

Enumerating Network Adapter Configuration Properties
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/network/scrnet12.asp

Set the TCP Window Size for All Network Adapters
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/network/scnet135.asp

And of course, try  the other networking links
available under Networking (or any subject)
for the other VBScript Window Scripting scripts
available in the left side menus.

Monitoring
Processes
Services
Logs
etc.

After you learn how to use the above VBScript
scripts then try Windows Scripting with more
Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI)
classes like the Performance Counter Classes
too!

Windows XP and up can use the newer
Win32_PerfFormattedData class types,
where as Windows 2000 must use the
old Win32_PerfRawData classes and
use "two takes" of the classes and then
do the "compare math" themselves.

Win32_PerfRawData_PerfNet_Redirector
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/wmisdk/wmi/win32_perfrawdata_perfnet_redirector.asp

Win32_PerfRawData_Tcpip_TCP
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/wmisdk/wmi/win32_perfrawdata_tcpip_tcp.asp

For more help with Windows Scripting:

Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE
version of the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter

<quote>

This book is designed to teach you basic concepts
underlying Microsoft scripting technologies such as
Microsoft Visual Basic Scripting Edition (VBScript),
Windows Script Host (WSH), Active Directory Service
Interfaces (ADSI), and Windows Management
Instrumentation (WMI).

</quote>

Windows 2000 Scripting Guide
Microsoft Windows 2000 Scripting Guide
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/scrguide/sagsas_overview.asp

<quote>

This help file contains all the scripts
found in the TechNet Script Center.

</quote>

CHM Compiled HTML Help File
TechNet Script Center Sample Scripts
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=38942

<quote>

Contains complete documentation for
JScript, VBScript, Windows Script Host,
Windows Script Components, Remote Scripting,
Script Control, and Script Debugger.

</quote>

CHM Compiled HTML Help File
Windows Script Host (WSH) 5.6 documentation
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=01592C48-207D-4BE1-8A76-1C4099D7BBB9&displaylang=en

Jeff

Re: [users@httpd] Apache very slow on Windows 2000

Posted by Jonas Eckerman <jo...@frukt.org>.
On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 14:08:56 +0100, Harry Sufehmi wrote:

> OK, just did some more tests... funnily, now some workstations are
> able to download from my workstation with very high speed.

That might indicate that it's not your workstation that is slow when
delivering the data, but the some of the other workstations are slow
when receiving. Quite a different thing.

Wich applications have you used for recieving the files during
testing?

If you've only tested with Internet Explorer, test with something
else. Preferably a console-mode app. You can test with wget or a
console mode FTP (ncFTP for example).

Explorer, Internet Explorer and other Windows apps using
Explorer-like stuff can sometimes slow down tranferes that should
have been fast. (For example: WS_FTP can be *very* slow in explorer
mode, even though it is fast in traditional mode (using the same
actal FTP implementation)).

You should also make sure that when you're testing, the machines you
test with aren't doing other heavy transfers over the network. For
example, heavy transfers using SMB (the built in Windows networking
stuff) can sometimes use so much bandwidth (both on the cable and in
the internal IP stack) that other transfers suffers tremendously.

Regards
/Jonas

Posted by Harry Sufehmi <mi...@harrysufehmi.com>.
On 01/10/2003 at 09:45 Jonas Eckerman wrote:
>On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 13:31:23 +0100, Harry Sufehmi wrote:
>>�I'm starting to suspect that this is a problem with the Windows
>>�TCP/IP stack though.
>Win2K should be able to output data at high speed using TCP. It could be
>some settings of course, but it's easy to check this. Just use some other
>protocol that runs ontop of TCP (FTP for exampe, but not SMB) and see what
>speed you get.

Yup, confirmed.... FTP is still slow, but accessing files via Windows shares are blazingly fast.

>If everything is slow, check the actual network. Check the cables (a bad
>cable on a 100Mbps connection can make things *very* slow), check that
>you're really using 100Mbps, etc.

I don't think it's anything physical, since this workstation is able to transfer files very quickly - as long as it's not HTTP or FTP it seems.

>Also check that the machine is up to the task (meaning it's not running
>out of physical memory, that the files are not stored with compression on
>in a machine with a slow CPU, etc, etc).

Yup, P3-733 + 512 MB RAM

>>�Can anyone confirm this suspicion,
>If you suspect that the sending lots of data with TCP on Win2K allways
>goes slowly, then you won't get it confirmed as that's simply not the case.
>If you suspect that there's a problem with the TCP/IP stack in you machine
>particular, then only you can confirm it.
>If you suspect that there's some other problem with Windows TCP/P stack,
>I'll confirm that. :-)

Uh... thanks for the, um, assurance.    :-)

On 30/09/2003 at 07:01 Ian Huynh wrote:
>Here's the link to optimizing TCPIP on Win2k
>http://www.asia.cnet.com/itmanager/netadmin/0,39006400,39089320-1,00.htm

OK, just did some more tests... funnily, now some workstations are able to download from my workstation with very high speed. I patched my workstation with registry changes that's mentioned on the article above. BUT, the workstation that can download quickly is NOT patched with that changes. While the other one patched is still downloading slowly from me.

Confused? Same here :-)

Oh well, at least it's confirmed that it's not Apache, but it's more to Windows' settings. I even reinstalled this workstation, and still no change. From that point of view, I think it's fair to say that Windows sucks.

Thank you for all the replies, you're an impressively helpful bunch.
It's now back to me to find out how to get Windows up to speed then...

Thanks,
Harry

--
Kampanye open-source Indonesia - http://www.DariWindowsKeLinux.com
Solusi canggih, bebas ikatan, dan bebas biaya