Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Hans Schou <Mi...@vd.dk> on 2020/09/04 11:08:35 UTC

SV: [OT Upgrade: tomcat8w.exe //ES//example - dump Java Options and other information to tomcat9

> On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 2:18 PM Christopher Schultz wrote:
>
> So how do you switch Java versions?

In case anyone care to know...

I have a directory called C:\Java
Here we have
  <DIR>          jdk1.8.0_25
  <SYMLINKD>     jdk1.8 [jdk1.8.0_25]
And JAVA_HOME=C:\Java\jdk1.8

And upgrade is then performed with:
   Unzip jdk1.8.0_211.zip
   Rmdir jdk1.8
   Mklink /D jdk1.8 jdk1.8.0_211
And then all tomcat instances has to be restartet.

A Tomcat minor upgrade is done in a similar way.
We have a symlink like C:\Apache\tomcat-9.0 which point to C:\Apache\apache-tomcat-9.0.36 and we unzip a new version and change the symlink.

./hans

Re: SV: [OT Upgrade: tomcat8w.exe //ES//example - dump Java Options and other information to tomcat9

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Hans,

On 9/4/20 07:08, Hans Schou wrote:

>> On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 2:18 PM Christopher Schultz wrote:
>>
>> So how do you switch Java versions?
>
> In case anyone care to know...
>
> I have a directory called C:\Java Here we have <DIR>
> jdk1.8.0_25 <SYMLINKD>     jdk1.8 [jdk1.8.0_25] And
> JAVA_HOME=C:\Java\jdk1.8
>
> And upgrade is then performed with: Unzip jdk1.8.0_211.zip Rmdir
> jdk1.8 Mklink /D jdk1.8 jdk1.8.0_211 And then all tomcat instances
> has to be restartet.
>
> A Tomcat minor upgrade is done in a similar way. We have a symlink
> like C:\Apache\tomcat-9.0 which point to
> C:\Apache\apache-tomcat-9.0.36 and we unzip a new version and
> change the symlink.

This obviously works, but requires that you have set things up this
way in advance. The discussion here was about upgrading your
Tomcat-based service if you had only used the standard installer in
the past without any "tricks" like you show, here.

For those interested, I'm presenting "Split your Tomcat Installation
for Easier Upgrades" at this year's ApacheCon @Home conference.
Registration/attendance is 100% free free for all. You can find the
Tomcat track schedule here:
https://www.apachecon.com/acah2020/tracks/tomcat.html

And there are a whole bunch of other tracks for those interested in
other Apache-related topics.

I could mention this kind of technique as well as the new tomcatXw.exe
feature of being able to dump the configuration to a
service-re-creation script as a part of this work. (Since it doesn't
really take 30 minutes to explain the difference between CATALINA_HOME
and CATALINA_BASE). :)

I was already expecting to talk about Windows Service installation,
anyway.

- -chris