Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Mugunth Subramanian <ms...@spikesource.com> on 2008/01/08 15:03:52 UTC

how to handle cost-center in ofbiz

Hi all,
I could not find documentation on handling cost center concept in ofbiz.

our company has about 5 cost centers. We need to associate the accounts
to various cost centers.
We need to be able to take reports for the whole company or to various
cost centers.

I am not sure how to handle cost centers. Pls help to clarify this.

Thanks,
Mugunth

Re: how to handle cost-center in ofbiz

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
You have accounting cost centers.
this shows up in the GL
Take a look at
https://demo.hotwaxmedia.com/accounting/control/GlAccountNavigate
one way to implement a profit center is
100000.profitcentercode
and for cash account
111100.profitcentercode
https://demo.hotwaxmedia.com/accounting/control/GlAccountNavigate?glAccountId=111100&trail=100000|100000|110000|111000|111100

The second part is the Party organization.
https://demo.hotwaxmedia.com/partymgr/control/findparty
select the internalorganization and click on lookup.
you will see differnt ID for departments or profitcenters.
this is no longer in the svn but I think it is a good example.

- <!--  A sample parent/subsidiary structure:
        Company has subsidiaries CompanySub1 and CompanySub2
        CompanySub1 in turns has a subsidiary CompanySub3
        Roles and relationships defined based on the
getParentOrganizations in party/servicedef/services_view.xml
  -->
  <Party partyId="CompanySub1" partyTypeId="PARTY_GROUP" />
  <PartyGroup partyId="CompanySub1" groupName="Company's First
Subsidiary" />
  <Party partyId="CompanySub2" partyTypeId="PARTY_GROUP" />
  <PartyGroup partyId="CompanySub2" groupName="Company's Second
Subsidiary" />
  <Party partyId="CompanySub3" partyTypeId="PARTY_GROUP" />
  <PartyGroup partyId="CompanySub3" groupName="Company's Third
Subsidiary" />
  <PartyRole partyId="Company" roleTypeId="PARENT_ORGANIZATION" />
  <PartyRole partyId="CompanySub1" roleTypeId="ORGANIZATION_UNIT" />
  <PartyRole partyId="CompanySub1" roleTypeId="INTERNAL_ORGANIZATIO" />
  <PartyRole partyId="CompanySub1" roleTypeId="PARENT_ORGANIZATION" />
- <!--  CompanySub1 is both a subsidiary and a parent
  -->
  <PartyRole partyId="CompanySub2" roleTypeId="ORGANIZATION_UNIT" />
  <PartyRole partyId="CompanySub2" roleTypeId="INTERNAL_ORGANIZATIO" />
  <PartyRole partyId="CompanySub3" roleTypeId="ORGANIZATION_UNIT" />
  <PartyRole partyId="CompanySub3" roleTypeId="INTERNAL_ORGANIZATIO" />

Mugunth Subramanian sent the following on 1/8/2008 6:03 AM:

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Cost centers mean different things in different organizations, which I
guess is really the point of the idea isn't it...

Anyway, In OFBiz rather than manually classifying different
transaction entries we have been taking the approach of trying each
AcctgTransEntry back back to the source record it came from, like an
InvoiceItem or an InventoryItem or a Payment or whatever, and you can
do reporting based on pretty much anything...

-David

On Jan 8, 2008, at 7:48 AM, Mugunth Subramanian wrote:

> David E Jones wrote:
>>
>> Do you mean cost centers from an accounting perspective? If so they
>> would be different Party records with the role Internal
>> Organization, or perhaps even just different GlAccounts to
>> categorize transaction entries.
>>
> Yes, I meant cost centers from an accounting perspective.
>
> If we need to define the cost centers as different internal
> organizations, is it possible to us to split a transaction(payment/
> receipt) to various cost centers during transaction?
>
> For example, consider I need make a payment for usage of a facility,
> which is also shared by another cost center. While doing the
> payment, I need to automatically split the payment to 2 accounts
> i.e. one in Cost center A, and another cost center B as per some
> percentage which is preset.
> Is it possible to do the above configuration using ofbiz ?
>
> Thanks,
> Mugunth

RE: how to handle cost-center in ofbiz

Posted by Vi...@bertelsmann.com.cn.
Hi mugunth,

Your problem is very easy to address indeed, I have come across this situation when wanted to design ofbiz for retail implementation where you have multiple stores and you pay for the electricity of multiple stores from HQ. You use cost center to allocate costs to each store (so in your language each store will have expense account) but the payment is done from HQ.

This kind of implementation can be done but require some screens designing in ofbiz.

In your case each subsidiary will have its own organization code (it can be a parent or a subsidiary the ofbiz model supports it). Then when you pay for the expense the screen would split the payment and post it to respective expense account of each subsidiary and then link the payment via organization code. Then you can do report on each of the company for expense or from HQ you can have a single report split by company.

e.g. Your electricity bill is US$ 1000 and you need to split it to 3 organizations. So the entry might be when you receive the bill (if you have the details like each A = $300, B=$300, C=$400)
Dr. Utl. Expense A/C $300 (linked to organization A in ofbiz)
Dr. Utl. Expense A/C $300 (Linked to Organization B in ofbiz)
Dr. Utl. Expense A/C $400 (Linked to organization C in ofbiz)
       Cr. AP by vendor - $1000

You can have a separate screen design for this to validate that expense A+B+C = AP.

When you pay from HQ its simple

Dr. AP - $1000
         Cr. Cash or bank -$1000

If you do the entry at the time of payment then its more simple
Dr. Utl. Expense A/C $300 (linked to organization A in ofbiz)
Dr. Utl. Expense A/C $300 (Linked to Organization B in ofbiz)
Dr. Utl. Expense A/C $400 (Linked to organization C in ofbiz)
         Cr. Cash

I hope this is clear.

Thanks
With best regards,
Vikrant

Posted by Mugunth Subramanian <ms...@spikesource.com>.

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Daniel Riquelme <da...@gmail.com>.
I've thinking about this and decided to implement it the following way.

1) Create new entities Center (Administrative Department, Business Unit) and
CenterRole (Cost Center, Expense Center, Profit Center, Funds Center).
1.1) Create relations from Center to Party (Internal Organizations) and any
other Entity (Product Category, Project, Marketing Campaign) that could
represent a Center in a company.
1.2) Create relations from Center to GlAccount. This way I will be able to
limit the use of each Center in Accounting Transactions.
2) Add relation from AcctgTransItem to Center and CenterRole
3) When adding an item to a transaction a drop down will list all the
Centers related to that GlAccount.
3.1) It will be possible to do things such as distribute an expense between
multiple centers.

Daniel.

From: "Daniel Riquelme" <da...@gmail.com>

Posted by Mugunth Subramanian <ms...@spikesource.com>.
Vikrant.Rathore@bertelsmann.com.cn wrote:
> This part in ofbiz needs to be developed separately. You can have a look at http://www.opentaps.org/ which has a financial module but again you really still need to customize it to implement cost center which I found is very easy to do indeed.

Hi Vikrant,
Thanks for the detailed reply.
I have started exploring opentaps also. Can you please let me know the
customization details required in opentaps to implement the functionality.

Thanks & Regards,

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Thanks for you posts Vikrant, I think you answered this in more detail
and better than I could.

A lot of work is going on in the ofbiz accounting component, to
replace and surpass (like the automatic error journal, for example)
the opentaps financials component. This is of course still a work in
progress, and you are very correct about the intent of OFBiz, ie that
it is intended to be a more complete ERP (, etc) system rather than
designed as any sort of independent accounting system.

I also agree that with a little extension (and especially once the
current accounting build out is complete) the OFBiz accounting stuff
could do these same things that independent/separate financial systems
do to make reporting easier when the source/trigger data isn't
available.

Anyway, thanks again for your comments. I hope things are going well
over there are Bertelsmann.

-David

On Jan 8, 2008, at 8:00 PM, <Vi...@bertelsmann.com.cn> <Vikrant.Rathore@bertelsmann.com.cn