Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2010/09/12 13:03:05 UTC

[Collections] FastHashMap and FastTreeMap (and many others) no longer in trunk

The classes FastHashMap and FastTreeMap are no longer anywhere in trunk.

They were deleted as part of

r814999 | bayard | 2009-09-15 06:33:20 +0100 (Tue, 15 Sep 2009) | 3 lines
Changed paths:

Merging from -r468106:814127 of collections_jdk5_branch - namely where
these files were removed.
<<<<

It looks like some of the other classes removed in this commit are
present elsewhere in SVN - e.g. LRUMap is now in map/ - but most of
the classes seem to have been dropped entirely.

Re: [Collections] FastHashMap and FastTreeMap (and many others) no longer in trunk

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 12 September 2010 15:47, Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep 12, 2010, at 6:42 AM, sebb wrote:
>
>> On 12 September 2010 12:03, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> The classes FastHashMap and FastTreeMap are no longer anywhere in trunk.
>>>
>>> They were deleted as part of
>>>

>>> r814999 | bayard | 2009-09-15 06:33:20 +0100 (Tue, 15 Sep 2009) | 3 lines
>>> Changed paths:
>>>
>>> Merging from -r468106:814127 of collections_jdk5_branch - namely where
>>> these files were removed.
>>> <<<<
>>>
>>> It looks like some of the other classes removed in this commit are
>>> present elsewhere in SVN - e.g. LRUMap is now in map/ - but most of
>>> the classes seem to have been dropped entirely.
>>>

>> Note - the FastxxxMap classes are in tags/PRE_GENERICS_MERGE in the
>> top-level collections package.
>>
>> They don't seem to be anywhere in
>>
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/collections/branches/collections_jdk5_branch
>>
>> which was presumably used for the merge to trunk.
>>

> Hi Seb,
>  I was just looking at this a few days ago--Stephen had removed them on the generics branch, and it was my assumption he did so because Java 1.5+ has the java.util.concurrent collections/maps.

OK, I see.

> We could create a 3.x branch from the point before the generics were merged, deprecate the classes on the branch, and make a 3.3 release for reasons of etiquette, but IMO it's not a huge deal as the jars aren't drop-in replaceable anyway.

Agreed, no point.

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.
On Sep 12, 2010, at 6:42 AM, sebb wrote:

> On 12 September 2010 12:03, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The classes FastHashMap and FastTreeMap are no longer anywhere in trunk.
>>
>> They were deleted as part of
>>

>> r814999 | bayard | 2009-09-15 06:33:20 +0100 (Tue, 15 Sep 2009) | 3 lines
>> Changed paths:
>>
>> Merging from -r468106:814127 of collections_jdk5_branch - namely where
>> these files were removed.
>> <<<<
>>
>> It looks like some of the other classes removed in this commit are
>> present elsewhere in SVN - e.g. LRUMap is now in map/ - but most of
>> the classes seem to have been dropped entirely.
>>

> Note - the FastxxxMap classes are in tags/PRE_GENERICS_MERGE in the
> top-level collections package.
>
> They don't seem to be anywhere in
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/collections/branches/collections_jdk5_branch
>
> which was presumably used for the merge to trunk.

Hi Seb,
  I was just looking at this a few days ago--Stephen had removed them on the generics branch, and it was my assumption he did so because Java 1.5+ has the java.util.concurrent collections/maps.  We could create a 3.x branch from the point before the generics were merged, deprecate the classes on the branch, and make a 3.3 release for reasons of etiquette, but IMO it's not a huge deal as the jars aren't drop-in replaceable anyway.

-Matt

Re: [Collections] FastHashMap and FastTreeMap (and many others) no longer in trunk

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.